Yoast Readability Analysis - opinions?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by commercialforest, Feb 17, 2019.

1. commercialforest

commercialforest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm using the Yoast SEO plug-in for Wordpress. I like the keyword analysis but I'm starting to question the readability analysis. I frequently get 2 recurring suggestions to make my content more Google-friendly
    • Add more transition words to improve the readability.
    • "Dumb down" the writing to score better on the Flesch scale
    To get those green lights, I'm writing shorter sentences and adding lots of extra transition words (Thus, accordingly, next, in conclusion, etc.). I'm concerned those Yoast green lights are actually hurting my content.

Are Yoast's readability suggestions consistent with what Google is after?

Steve

2. JackMiller

JackMiller
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't worry about getting those green lights for your content, It really doesn't matter much, the only thing that matter to Google is "how good, relevant, unique & presentable is your content is" this is the only green light you need to focus on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. commercialforest

commercialforest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks. After I posted, I started Googling and others have had the same concern.

I think I've been overly concerned about getting the green light. Readability is a factor but probably not a major one. All things being equal, Google likes clear, concise & simply written pages. However, engagement trumps everything. I've seen a lot of drivel at the top of the search results. Also, NY Times articles would likely fail Yoast readability tests, yet they're SEO royalty.

I will focus on writing good content, use the Yoast tools to help optimize but won't sweat it if the lights aren't green.

4. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Don't use the Yoast tools - they will lead you down the wrong path.

In fact don't use Yoast at all if possible, there are far better SEO plugins. If possible just edit your theme to include custom page titles and descriptions. That's the only SEO change needed to any WP site.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. VITS USA

VITS USA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with fisicx! if you edit your theme and include custom page titles and descriptions in the website, it will more helpful to you for ranking purpose..

6. bangthetable

bangthetable
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When should you ignore Yoast’s readability analysis?

• Flesch Reading Ease Test
    • Ignore when long sentences are appropriate
    • Subheading followed by too many words
    • Sentence beginnings — same word at the start of consecutive sentences
    • Not enough transition words
    • Excessive passive voice
    • Long Paragraphs
    Even though Yoast SEO’s readability analysis gives feedback based on best practices, it has limits. There is no need to get all bullets to turn green.