What's In A Domain?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by junglekid, Jun 29, 2009.

1. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would then want to ask how to transfer my Blogger blog to a Wordpress blog but I will now dare not to ask since, as Fergal says, Wordpress doesn't allow Adsense to be posted on their hosted sites.

Honestly, I am not using my blog to earn but use it personally. Earning from it is just a bonus for me.:)

3. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I find there's some kind of misunderstanding here, so let me try to clarify it.

WordPress.com is a free blogging platform where you can host free blogs in exactly the same way you do at blogger. The difference being you cannot have adsense on them, even if it's your own domain. And lately they've been picking on affiliate marketers too.

WordPress.org is where you can dowload a free blog script that you can host wherever you want, as long as you have a domain name. You can do almost everything with this script, the possibilities and features are unlimited.

In your case, GekiDan, you would download WordPress' latest stable version (I think it's 2.8) from WordPress.org and host it somewhere else, under your own domain name. I've mentioned previously that if you are interested in free hosting, without ads, send me a PM.

4. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would agree 100% that quality content and incoming links are the most important factors affecting your site's search engine results. However, I wouldn't completely discount age of domain, my personal experience is that it does have at least some impact. Plus, if an old domain is getting some traffic and has links pointing to it, that is obviously an advantage.

But saying that, I wouldn't chose a domain name based on how old it is. You should chose the domain that works best for your site - preferably a short memorable dot com and if it contains keywords that's an advantage.

A lot will depend on the objectives and ambitions you have for your site. If you want to set up a site to get some quick advertising / affiliate income and you don't have huge long term ambitions for it, an older keyword rich domain with existing traffic and inbound links would be the way to go. If you have long term ambitions to build a hugely popular site that attracts lots of quality visitors a short brandable dot com domain would be preferable. This type of domain will help with the viral marketing and word of mouth communication that your site will need.

I wouldn't imagine too many people first hear about Twitter from a search on a search engine. The Twitter.com domain was first registered in the year 2000, but I wouldn't think it's age is by any means a significant factor in the site's success.

6. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, Fergal, and I'll go a little further:

First, if old domains had no value or impact at all why has a whole business been created around buying and selling them? Why do people pay hundreds, thousands and even millions of dollars for them?

Second, let's suppose you're planning to launch a video hosting site. Would you register a xyzvideo.com new domain or would you go for youtube.com, if you could buy it at a reasonable price? I don't think it's necessary to explain which one would be better for your new video hosting business...:)

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I see your point junglekid and there are other factors at play, in the examples you give. When people pay huge money for a domain it is not solely because of the age of the domain, it is largely because of the quality of the domain. E.g. the value of the business.com domain is largely created by factors other than it's age. These factors would include the type-in traffic that a domain like that will get, it's brandability and memorability, it's relevance to a very competitive area and the existing trade and revenue that it is generating.

Ditto for a domain like YouTube.com, it's value comes largely from the revenue, brand & public awareness that has been built up around it, not from the fact that it is an old domain.

If I had registered a domain something like kiuyk361hayec.com when domains first became available to register, it would have some value today because of its age but it would be limited, because it cannot be branded or easily remembered.

8. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

what if in search of buying old domain name you go and buy spam domain ...which spammer have used it like heal ...

Instead of buying old domain name it better to buy old website itself and ....and buying a old domain name and website ....you have spend lot of money on it
    and getting old domain names and website for very less amount then its very difficult

instead of buying them develop your new site and with same amount do marketing ..

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a good point realitybites.in. When buying any site or domain it is important to do your research beforehand. Google cache and http://www.archive.org are good tools to help you with that.