What is more important: Work or Education?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by TimeRider, May 7, 2009.

1. medumurty

medumurty
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An equally balanced work with a proper education upon that is absolutely necessary. A good education and no proper work means it is fit for nothing and the same applies for the vice-versa condition too.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, it's same here in the Philippines. Four year courses are a must if you want to have a more regular sturdy job. There are 2 year courses which are fine, more or less an associate degree.

Thanks for the links. I have already used that resources and visits them from time to time to get some updates. And I even bought a book about GIMP effects because of this passion.

By the way, I have been in Graphic Design for more than 2 years.

3. spitty

spitty
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Education is very important and it should come first.When in college you don't have your hands tied.you can look for a part-time job to get you through.the degree you get is definitely worth it,even if you don't find something to work wright away,the bigger paycheck will come someday.

4. kutuhiphop

kutuhiphop
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yea...education is far more important.....well at least u have to graduate a college...

but work is important too..the solution is go to college and do some part time job... lol

5. ekta74

ekta74
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are educated,there is no problem in getting a good work/job..So be qualified first !!

6. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Education is important, however, it really does matter what it is you study and how relevant it is to the business you want to go into.

Example: There is no point in doing a 4 year study on Spanish history 18xx - 19xx and then expect to get a job as a director of a finance company (I've seen this in the past!).

The region / country you come from makes a big difference here. For instance in Germany, where I currently live people look down on you if you don't have degrees coming out of your ears. Most employers will say only apply if you have X degree. For me this is a joke and discounts a huge population of people who if given the chance would do a far better job. Personally, I override this rule when looking for a new employee as I would rather have someone who shows me they are hungry for success and have the key skill of "common sense" that seems to be lacking in so many nowadays.

When I left school at 16 in the UK with no qualifications I thought I'd never get anywhere. The difference in the UK is that if you are willing to work hard and listen, you will be given a chance to succeed.

With my own kids, I'll push them hard to concentrate and do their best at their studies, but I'll push them harder to be decent people who have the ability to listen and learn from others around them.

Sean

7. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion, I think they're struggling for work because of many reasons.

Reasons like,
    - The lack of passion to go for employment as much as possible. Such as looking for work anywhere, literally. Being able to work for free as a Entry Level worker to get the experience you need to get hired for a paying job. Many people are willing to do that they can find more work than the ones who aren't willing to do that.

- World Economy, Industry Economy, and Local Economy. If the world economy is ok, and your industry isnt doing well and going slow like low demand for employment, there is no or slow growth for employment. It make sense....

When you want a career you want make sure you research heavily on how much it pays, how much growth is in the industry, employment demand, is at the level you're able to work with. Some people still do that type of research and dont care and are willing to work as hard as possible for that career... Like me for example, I want to be a Director/Producer in Dramatic TV shows. Right now that field has a ton of competition for employment as sooo many people want that career. I will have a much harder time in getting into that field than going for some random job like a Telemarketing Service Rep.

Note some degrees I was told have very little value... Ether because the industry is dying, or slow moving because it's new or not catching on, or the degree just dont have many -or very little- career choices in high demanding employment fields. I'll say it again to be very clear, it is extremely important to research the career you want before college (or before you pick a major in college).

Also analyze on how much you would need to make from that career, from entry or higher level. Like for example if you want a family as soon as you start or before you start your career you may want a steady, local, no traveling, no super long hours, ect. job. And having a nice income/benefits that will be realistically to support yourself and your family -remember the more kids the more money you need-.

#87 Chrisj0401, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  8. kurama

kurama
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think the first is education

9. eddielkk

eddielkk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I couldn't deny that education is important in helping oneself to learn more things and works towards their own personal goal. But then an educated people doesn't means that they will always success, in fact most of the successman is really high educated. For me the reason is more the personal attitude rather than education. If you have good attitude, you will always find your ways easy in your goal path. I always believe this, whenever i recruits new staff to work, i emphasize on their personal attitude more than how good is his university results.

10. pickmurari

pickmurari
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From my point of view, I suggest education becoz work varies from a day labour to a company lead or a country lead. Without education, people get engaged in petty jobs, daily labours. If people concentrate on education and come with colorful results, work falls in the right place and they get employed for the right salary.

Education can vary your job culture. Hope added some spice to ur query

11. only4u

only4u
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HELLO.

i think, money is more important because we do hard work to get money, and if we have money with us then i do not think we need to work to get it.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So do you think education is not that important as long as ou are earning money?

Well, i will just share to you a famous saying that goes like this:
    "Education is the most important treasure that we could obtain. It cannot be stolen nor bought. It will stay to you as long as you live."

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd agree, the benefits of education go way above learning how to earn money. Education gives us the ability to think for our selves, solve problems and to communicate effectively with others.

14. harisjmi

harisjmi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion education is more important than work ......education helps us to determine the kind of work we are going to do in life.It also develops the behavior and way if living in a person which is also very essential part of one's life.
    As for the second part whether its good to leave education after +12 and opt for work.....well most people do this for gaining experience and then again come back for education so that they have a little more edge than others ....its good more in corporate world where experience matters more.

15. karima

karima
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HELLO

thank you for sharing your info

its very difficult to differentiate to both of these terms
    ..both has their own significant here.

thanks

16. goutham

goutham
    uix_expand uix_collapse

me too agree with u education is the first......with education we can learn about many things.....it is the only thing that dont leaves us untill we die.....

17. solidus37

solidus37
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes education and application of what you learned is how you can survive this changing world. You got to adapt to non stop change

18. piatraelfa

piatraelfa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Education comes first.
    Why? Because without a proper education, in order to make money -that is if you will have the chance to make money- you will have to work twice or even thrice as hard to make some small amounts of money.
    Some of you seem to be not so happy when it comes to school. Consider my words: School is a privilege, not a right!

19. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But I can say that even if you choose work, there's still education going on.
    As the time passes by, even without your knowledge, you educate yourself on the job you are doing. And you are learning along the way....

20. piatraelfa

piatraelfa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, definitely:))
    Especially if you chop woods for living. You definitely learn how to chop better.
    Oh,come on. Without education, the humanity would not have existed.