What business can I start with low start up costs?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by TheConnect, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

TheConnect starting your own blog would not require much technical knowledge. Have a look at this thread for some very helpful information on the topic - How To Set Up Your First Website with WordPress.

If you do decide to run your own blog on a hosting account you would find a book such as WordPress for Dummies, very helpful.

To make it even easier you could start your own blog on WordPress.com, Blogger.com or TypePad - this would allow you to get started without any technical knowledge at all. You could gain experience on writing blog posts and building traffic and then at a later date, once you have improved your knowledge, you could start your own blog on a paid hosting account.

Do you think that one of those approaches could work for you?

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheConnect

TheConnect
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That sounds great. I don't know if I'll be able to fully explore the functionality of the wordpress site today, but I have a few questions. First, are there disadvantages to creating a website using wordpress as a host such as the owners of the site receive some sort of ownership in what I create? Also, are there limitations placed in terms of expansion of my database (for instance If I wanted it to function like facebook and was able to get hundreds of millions of users, would I be able to keep all of their profiles, pics, and information while having search options)? Would having my own self-hosted blog through wordpress.org be more complicated than the wordpress hosted blog on wordpress.com?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The main disadvantage would be that they have control over your site and content and as such they oblige you to comply with their terms and conditions. For example, they don't allow you to place ads on your site.

Hosting at WordPress.com is for hosting a blog on their technology. It would not be suitable for something as expansive as you are describing, in fact it would not be suitable for anything other than a blog. They do provide advanced paid hosting solutions, but these are still for blogs. I suggested them as something you might start out on, to learn the ropes, when you grow your site to the kind of level you hope to, you will require hosting across a number of dedicated servers. However, I wouldn't worry about that level of hosting until you need it. Your site will grow through time and you will be able to expand your hosting plan as and when you need to.

It would be a little bit, because WordPress.com automatically installs the WP blog software for you and it updates the software as and when required. If you use the blog software that you get from WordPress.org you will be responsible for installing and upgrading it. Although some hosts will provide a hosting service for your blog, that also includes installation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheConnect

TheConnect
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks. I will use Wordpress as a learning tool for now. As I gain confidence and knowledge I will decide how/if I want to proceed with my business. I'm happy that I found this forum. Everyone has been a tremendous help. I have a business undergrad degree, but they do not really teach entrepreneurship. I can finally get past just thinking about different business ideas and actually get a feel of what a particular venture may entail. I hope I will be able to help others with questions in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Businesses starting out from a kiosk are easy to set up and financially less stressful than having to bare the bills of leasing an actual building or space.
    You can run nearly anything you want from a kiosk.

6. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    Online business is good for you. As you told that you are in school life so you may start your own music website. If you have interest in music than get people who install or post new arrivals at your website. This website should be totally based on music library in which you also have interest. It is a good way for you to generate revenue by keeping in view your interest. It is the world of online business and this is good enough idea for you.

7. keymike

keymike
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Identify your skills !

The question you would have to be asking yourself is what business acumen and skills do you have that you could use on a daily basis? That would define your business and then you could identify the goals and pursue the legalities and financing to follow through.

8. Aleena

Aleena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    I think that's good advice I think it's better to start your own business and starting right from home is another advantage for beginners this also saves money and at home there is a stress free environment that keeps us going.

9. Aleena

Aleena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    As you already said that you have interest in sports and like reading sports reviews on sports blogs. You also have interest in internet business I suggest you to start a blog or website of your own all about sports. Starting a website won't cost you much what does matter the most is the content which you will be posting on daily or weekly bases. As long as you deliver best content on your website you will be able to attract more traffic to your website.

10. debragurl

debragurl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You know a blog can earn you a lot. Whether it's all about people, travel, food, those things can help you get a lot of traffic.
    To make it short, a lot of traffic = more money earned.

11. mattbau43

mattbau43
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most online businesses can be cheap to start. If you can pre-sell the advertising before printing, then there is virtually no cost to start up an advertising publication

12. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with him. It suits purely with your interest and also you can earn good income through blogging.

13. Vikram Anand

Vikram Anand
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest you to go for affiliate marketing.
    Clickbank is a good option. You can find something from your niche, start promoting it and in return earn some cool affiliate commission.

14. Engineers Club

Engineers Club
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello TheConnect!! there are so many answers already given on your question and they are helpful. According to me the best startup for you is making a small website hosted on wordpress and after it you need to spend some bucks for your domain name and also pay to wordpress for coustomized domain. You can also do the same in blogger, but according to me wordpress is good.
    One more thing you can do is to create a channel on youtube and start earning from your first video. Remember for the same number of views on your blog and on youtube you will earn much much more on youtube. I am currently using the both platform for my earnings. Now if you want to know more on these things please ask.

15. stevex

stevex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Online business is very profitable in these days .It can take time to establish.it is easier ,faster and cheaper for businesses to communicate with their suppliers and their customers. Online business is 24 hours and 7 days accessible for the customers.And can start up with low cost.

16. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Starting your own online business is low cost and low risk, but it takes work to get it to the point where it's performing and earning income. It doesn't happen overnight.

All of the topics you mention are great, but fairly competitive. The thing to do would be to find a sub-niche of one of your favorite topics and put a creative spin on it. Brainstorm ways to present it in a way that is unique and fresh. Or go with a narrow niche inside one the larger niches.

Example - instead of music, you could focus on a type of music, or a narrower focus like female musicians or reggae music from the last 10 years - something like that.

The more narrow your focus, the less work it will be and the faster you'll get established.

17. Nick Carpenter Bali

Nick Carpenter Bali
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can start a travel agency in a low investment. This business is growing business because people travel so much.

18. Jacob Hawkins

Jacob Hawkins
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you start online business or you have good interest on sports. You Start online blogging about sports also run sports accessories business online through social media these type business are start with low cost and get more and more profit. because social media is a platform where you get more traffic.

19. CrazyOwl

CrazyOwl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are some low costs but high profit business ideas.
    1) Furniture Business
    (
    Furniture is an indispensable item for homes, schools, business premises etc.)
    2) Garment Manufacturing unit
    (
    Garment is a very productive business, with the increasing awareness of fashion, garments have been in highest demand.)
    3) Producing leather related items Business
    (
    Leather products are always in great demand. Small items made of leather can be created easily with the help of simple tools and machinery.)
    4) Manufacturing of school / office stationery items
    (
    There is regular demand for stationary items for offices and schools.)
    5) Automobile Parts manufacturing
    (
    Automobile industry is flourishing in every part of the country.)

20. shahji

shahji
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say if you really want to do something then start selling on Amazon or eBay and use dropshipping. It would not only help you in understand which products are in demand and also you can check your selling and negotiation skills as how much you can earn profits.I know lot of folks who do the same and are earning high. Also make sure you file your taxes. Once you are set in the market with all the vendors in place you can start on your personal Website as well.