What are the top 3 areas of support that startups need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Kyle Mucha, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Kyle Mucha

Kyle Mucha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am interested in finding out what people think are the 3 most important areas of support a business just starting out could receive?

My thoughts are;
    • SEO - very important especially if don't have much of a marketing budget
    • Business idea - I think people can get too close to their business idea and fresh eyes could shed light on important considerations they are missing
    • Social Media - Doing it well can be very time consuming
    What does everyone else think?

• Like Like x 2
  2. allcitycleaning

allcitycleaning
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think your question is too broad. To answer that it depends upon the type of business being pursued and also the skills of the person starting the business. Sorry.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As Julia mentioned, your question is too broad. There are different areas where startups need support, and you appear to be concentrating mostly on advertising, primarily online. Before even considering advertising, most startups probably need help getting started in the first place, with things like location, budgeting, whether there is a need for their type of business, who is their target market, etc,

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mark Zobel

Mark Zobel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree that your question is too broad so it's pretty hard to really give you a concrete answer for that. It actually depends on the business but any startups should ensure that they study well their business and they know their target market well too. After that, it's important to assess which kind of advertising is right for your business.

5. michaelandy

michaelandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well,@kyle As you also mentioned your own thoughts too but these can't be a top 3 areas because we can only describe it according to business. However, any new startups ought to guarantee that they concentrate well on their business and they know their market objective as well.

6. BrightFuture

BrightFuture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are talking about 3 important support you need when starting a business, you should talk about business idea, finance, and creating awareness about you business.

7. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Like several others have said, your question is too broad to answer with any precision, but I would say that there are three things that run fairly true across most businesses:

1. Product development and continual refinement and improvement. Whether you are selling a physical product, a service or an intangible product like information on a website, the product you are selling is the most important thing that you have. Continuing to refine and improve on the product is a key to having a business that can survive for a longer period of time.

2. Marketing and selling your product or service. Someone mentioned SEO but that is only one form marketing. For some businesses, SEO may be very important but for others it hardly registers at all.

3. Accounting. You need to control your costs and revenues. Without good, current financial information, your decisions will be made in the dark. Good accounting information is key.

There are other factors, so boiling it down to 3 is kind of a silly exercise, but there you go.

8. georgestanley032

georgestanley032
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think with that kind of topic he is trying to give importance on the web presence aspect of every business. Whether you have a budget or not SEO and SMM should be something to study before you make an effort to apply this in your business. But before that, define your target market first before making a move.

9. florenceclarke

florenceclarke
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Brand marketing, Accounting and Finance and Data Management(targeted audience for business) are the three things which is most important to concern when starting a new business.

These three can collectively provide you analyzation, analytics and complete guidance that how to proceed further for the growth or to make a base.

10. sinGN

sinGN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO,social media,business idea all these three are very important in the business.SEO and social media helps to increase the traffic to the business.

11. John Thronton

John Thronton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say that SEO and Marketing are one of the basic steps that a startup needs to be taken good care of.

12. Mike Levin

Mike Levin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say that it really depends on business. I had an experience, when we got a lot of clients and a lot of people around the world were interested in our products, be we didn't have enough staff, materials and time to serve all our customers. That showed our business from bad side to your clients and we did our best in order to get our old customers back

13. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The question is a bit too broad for me to give a specific answer. For me, every need is based on what kind of business you are running. Each business has their own priorities to focus on. But in general, I think these three would do. Marketing/advertising/promotions, product/development/tests, accounting/revenue vs cost.

14. trace56

trace56
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My top 3 also generally because of course specification of business may vary the list.
    1. MVP or overview, planning, and product development. When you have an idea you need to pass it by research and getting it through potential customers.
    2. Marketing and SEO. What will be your brand strategy and advertising campaign?
    3. Investment/ financial side. It is cool if you have a source of funding or investment, but if not you also should think how to pitch perfectly in order to catch angels or individual investors attention. Then you need to distribute money by needs and control expenses.

15. ruksar sheikh

ruksar sheikh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Top 3 for me would be :

Marketing : Both inbound and outbound

Execution of ideas : you can ideate as much as you want but without execution you would be hallucinating.

Network : For networking you can go to meetups, join coworking spaces, go for seminars etc

16. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Mostly pointless. All you tend to meet are people in the same position as you are.

And most start-ups don't listen to advice. Which is why most startups fail within the first year.

17. Tandy

Tandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Obviously your business idea is No.1 - Choose something that interests you, you are going to spend many hours working it!
    But also that there is a hungry market for it- look at magazine racks - if there are several magazines on your topic you have some interest.

What about FREE traffic
    if you have a small budget, paid traffic solo ads or facebook - you can buy 50 of 100 clicks on Solo ads, with face book you can limmit your spend either to the weekend, or a small daily budget
    Everything you do will gradually build SEO rankings automatically.

#17 Tandy, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2018