Two activities on the same website?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Keyclient, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Keyclient

Keyclient
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello to all

I have a question to ask you. A client of mine currently has a physical store and sells food products. For this reason, for some years he has created an e-commerce site. Now, in addition to selling products, he wants (always in the same physical store) to eat hot dishes.
    Question:
    1) Do you think I have to create 2 separate websites (one for ecommerce and one that advertises the local bar) or do I put them both on the same site?
    2) As for social networks: do I have to create different ones or always in the same account?

Thank you for answering me

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As long as he doesn't eat in front of the customers, I don't see a problem. He will also want to make sure he is not eating more than he sells. On the other hand, if he wants to sell hot dishes for other people to eat, that's different.
    Now, about your questions. I don't think it's necessary to create two separate websites. You can create a page for the bar, and link to it from other pages. You might also want to put an ad on the home page that says something like "We Now Sell Hot Food!', and use that to link to the bar page.
    The social networks would be treated in a similar way. Create a post that announces the new bar as part of the existing accounts. You would then continue to use the same account for both the e-commerce site and the bar.

3. DZiegler

DZiegler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, I do not believe you need to create 2 separate websites. Create a site for the business (and your client should also be posting new content on a regular basis, blog posts, recipes, detail on new products, special events at the bar.) Then, on the landing page prominently highlight the e-commerce section and the local bar so visitors looking for either can go to it quickly. If desired, you can make the e-commerce and bar separate subdomains (such as shop.mydomain.com and bar.mydomain.com) so that regular customers can go directly to the section they use.

As for social networks (i.e. Facebook) I would create a separate page/account for each one. That way there can be targeting marketing towards each customer group. In addition, your client can offer coupons, specials, events, sales directed towards each group without confusion. Always have each page Like/Follow the other so that you have cross marketing opportunities.

One thing for your client to bear in mind: today it is not enough to slap up a website and forget it. It is vital to add high quality content on a regular basis. This content does not have to be long, but it must be compelling and use solid keywords that will increase their SEO. Using online resources like web sites and social media is a new form of sales prospecting. Your client needs to envision the typical customer for each business line and create content that will attract that customer. Think of it in a "why you, why now?" sort of way. What pain points need to be fixed for each customer group. It is not that different from traditional prospecting except there are no 1-on-1 meetings. With all of this they achieve steady traffic and repeat customers.

#3 DZiegler, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2018
  4. Simon_G

Simon_G
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is simply untrue and more importantly dangerous to advise to others.

The best length of content for ranking purposes has been calculated at 1500+ words, so pretty long. In fact, it has also been confirmed that short frequent blog posts are detrimental to ranking the page itself. Google wants to provide the best results for a given search term. It therefore stands to reason that the more complete the blog post or page content generally, the more it will answer the question posed by the search terms and therefore the more relevant the content is. 1 long, valuable post per month is worth much more in regards to ranking than 1 400 word post per day for a month.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One thing you do not want to do is add content just because that's what the search engines want. Once the website is designed and published, leave it as is unless you have a reason to add new content. When you have a reason to update something, once again, if you don't need to describe it in 1500+ words, don't write a long article just to satisfy the search engines. Be interesting, informative, and compelling, adding just as much as you need to.

6. Simon_G

Simon_G
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I assumed the above it was a given, but it turns out that there are a lot of people out there that who think that short and frequent is a good thing, regardless of the quality of content.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some of those people are actually so-called "experts" who sell their "services" to website owners who don't know any better. They are giving our business a bad reputation it doesn't deserve, and I wish they would stop.