So, I have an idea...

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Sintwar, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Sintwar

Sintwar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have zero experience or education in business, no real management experience and no money to speak of, but I have a great idea for a themed restaurant sort of experience that is quite unique and extraordinary.

Something that would fit quite well in a mall environment.

In my mind, I find potential investors, present the idea and from there I have no idea.

What would you suggest I do with this idea?

2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I suggest you get a job in a restaurant to learn the trade.

No investor is ever going to give you their money if all you have is an idea.

3. VITS USA

VITS USA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have complete roadmap of your idea?

4. Sintwar

Sintwar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How granular of a roadmap are you thinking? I have a rough idea of what it would be on a presentation level. So far it's just a rough draft in my head, I just had the idea a few days ago. I haven't done research on cost of equipment, staffing, materials, construction requirements, etc. yet. I'm not really certain how detailed the plan needs to be before I could even consider presenting it to anyone.

There is no business that I am aware of like the one I am imagining, so unfortunately there is nothing for me to model after or make predictions based on.

This also goes way beyond the scope of a traditional restaurant. Think in terms of a Dave & Buster's. It's nothing like that, but it's much more than "just a restaurant".

5. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

You need to show then how you will repay their investment. This means doing all the costings and expenditures and potential income. Make sure you include marketing in these costs as it could run into tens of thousands of dollars.
    No idea who they are. But spoke to a mate who runs an event restaurant in the UK and his start up costs were about $200,000.

But your big problems are:
    1. Lack of experience
    2. Lack of money

Unless you have some skin in the deal an investor will want 100% of the business.

6. Sintwar

Sintwar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dave & Buster's is a rather large chain with a restaurant, arcade and sports bar rolled into one.

I am a designer by trade and an inventor at heart. With a creative personality, I have ideas all the time. What I could bring to the table is a vision and concept of an experience. I could also coordinate the architectural and ambient elements, as well as the layout, design and functionality of every experience to be had in the place.

I would happily forfeit the vast majority of ownership for the opportunity to see this vision come to reality.

7. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

That’s not what an investor wants. They want to see money on the table. If you have a fully costed business plan with a 5 year financial forecast and you are prepared to remortgage your house to fund your idea you might get some interest.

8. likeshigh

likeshigh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your idea is not perfect. You have a lack of experience and knowledge in online marketing.

9. NuAIg

NuAIg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Anyone use AI to improve businesses processes ??

10. Aub

Aub
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you just have the idea and no experience in the specific sector, you are most likely to fail. It's the tough reality.

A business is a very practical thing and you need to have the know-how but also the feeling, so to speak. Something you get through experience.