Small claims court advice

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by danstelter, Apr 2, 2020.

1. danstelter

danstelter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey everyone -

I had an accountant royally screw up my taxes to the point I would have to pay the Fed $5000 in taxes and $1000 in penalties. I called her up about it and she proceeded to blame me for it, which makes no sense at all.

So, I had another accountant fix her work. Honest, nice guy. I got $2200 back from the fed.

Why, as a business owner, would I want my taxes done in a way that results in a $8200 loss?

So I confronted her with that (including the paperwork from my accountant and the IRS) and told her she could refund me, file a claim with her E&O insurance, or we could go to court and talk about it.

She blew me off and said she doesn't care.

So, I want to take her to court to get the $1000 in accounting fees she charged for shoddy work.

I have a pretty clear and convincing paper trail that points back to her. I've never been to small claims court.

What're your thoughts on the situation?

2. danstelter

danstelter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. VITS USA

VITS USA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In this situation, you should consult with a lawyer because proper guidance is very important in legal work. There is no value of general thoughts.

4. danstelter

danstelter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I ended up suing her. Once she got the notice, she became willing to talk and paid me for her errors.

5. MCDA CCG INC

MCDA CCG INC
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am glad to hear that she finally came around as it was clearly the right thing to do. As a business owner myself it is always important for me to stand behind the quality of work we perform. I find that unfortunately some people will not react or "do the right thing" until they are faced with legal trouble. Reach out anytime if another situation comes your way, always happy to share resources.