Should you block Facebook at work?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by element, Jul 3, 2010.

1. pwsolutions

pwsolutions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think yes, you better block facebook, twitter and other communication channels those cause distractions on your workplace. i think you should restrict the extra ordinary use of cell phones on the work stations.

2. JaredDetroit

JaredDetroit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A lot of these answers are the reason I started my own company. Get away from micro management of my work.

There needs to be a big clarifying point made on this question. What type of employees do you have and what is your management style?

If you have your average hourly worker that doesn't have much responsibility, I can see Facebook being an issue. I can also see it being an issue where you have a micro-management or overbearing management style where people don't learn to manage their own tasks and work. If you worry more about how many hours an employee works on a specific task then what the results are, it will be an issue.

If, however, you have employees that are professionals and you have more of the management mentality of empowering your employees and making them responsible for their work, Facebook shouldn't be an issue. If you're paying someone for results and they deliver the results, it won't be an issue.

I say empower your employees, make them responsible for their actions, let them fail. Make Facebook and other social networking sites a privilege that can be revoked but won't be if you're delivering results. You will end up with better performing employees that are able to take on more responsibility, are happier at work, and are more loyal to your business.

That's what I see as the choice for Facebook or no Facebook.

3. irsdebtrepair

irsdebtrepair
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Should you block facebook at work

Usually, companies consider Facebook as an entertainment website or something which is not relevant to your work, but it is one of the most essential part of the online marketing process now days.

4. denial

denial
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Every company has their own set of rules and regulations to follow. So therefore the decision of blocking social networking sites entirely depends on your company management.

5. sfweb

sfweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

iam agree with you susanbekar use of facebook in office for limited time is good but unfortunately employees starts misuse of this service.

6. habeebraja

habeebraja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No,Facebook is a one of the important website to generate your business,There we will get lots of contact which help us to increase our business.

7. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On the other hand there are employees who really taking advantage of Facebook especially when the boss is not around, their productivity becomes lesser because all their time focused on facebook only, So i think don't block the facebook but they should have to provide the exact time for usage, in example during break time or lunch time would be acceptable.