Remembering Faces and Names

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a good idea Deepak. If you wrote down a few details every evening on the new people you met that day it would definitely help lodge those people in your memory and improve future recollection.

2. PaskalTop

PaskalTop
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello. it`s my first post

Admin Edit - Post moved here.

3. ted bailey

ted bailey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This has always been a struggle for me. So recently I have started to write down everyone's name as I think of their face. Every time I meet someone new I do this. It takes a little time and commitment but it seems to be working.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When do you write their name down, when you get home after meeting them, or at the time you meet them?

Do you review the names every so often to remind yourself of the people you met?

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi!ted bailey
    Associating some picture already in your mind with something new speeds up your process of learning & helps you remember that thing without any complications. You also have employed a similar kind of method.I guess... But still the questions by Fergal are relevant as we want to know the process you employ in this type of activity & we would appreciate if you share them with us..:)

6. ianhutter

ianhutter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hmmm...
    I have the same problem too...
    nice advise folks!
    I definitely learn something.

7. panaache

panaache
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi

I've been through this phase a long back !
    I think everyone has got a unique style of speaking, so what I did,started concentrating on the voice and that really helped me a lot ..
    Coversation over the phone can help you in the process.
    Once, you'll start recognizing the voice, it will become an easy task for you .

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Strangely enough I'm much better at remembering voices than remembering faces. I will often instantly recognize a voice over the phone even when I haven't heard from the caller in quite some time.

9. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

- Interesting question.

The question is like you face a designed material and tell to scratch it out after some times. Fergal, it's all about your memory power. But, here are some tips that should be helping you.

- Talk to the person face to face, discovering their structure.
    - Often look for person layout and personality, often clothing choices are preferrable to observe.
    - Seeing a person at a glimpse would just make no sense, but when you're facing them and trying to remember them and names, just be conscious.
    - Try to remember them after they've gone too. If not write notes about their names and face layout. If a person is slim and black face then you write slim-black and name on notes.

Coincidence result, It was like I met three new girls today for at least 15 minutes and they didn't tell names, lol. Anyways, I can remember them when I see them next time. If they're in college dress, most easy. If not also, it would be easy too.

10. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well try remembering a peculiar thing about that person. Say, something really nice or out of the ordinary in his looks /built / height = anything to grab on to. Then , add that to the name and this will work. I am a team leader so it's very important for me to remember faces especially when a new team comes in - Kinda weird when you need to address a new joinee but forget their names.

11. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I liked this point of DEADMAN. Especially, If we talk to the persons looking at their faces moreover, then we may remember them. We can also recognise by their talking style. Sometimes, we recognise a persons by his/her voice than his/her face.

12. medumurty

medumurty
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am quite weak in remembering the names and faces of people as I have a forgetful memory and cant remind things quickly. I often visist around 100 people everyday and its quite difficult for me to remember them

13. anamaria

anamaria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Junior

The human brain use some algorithms for remember faces. Own mind make associations with usually things and after deposited the relation face+associated. My advice is to let your mind free , so your brain will do the rest.

14. haytham1986

haytham1986
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is not unusual especially if you meet alot of people daily,,, I suggest that you focus on the people that are more important than others, and save them in your memory

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a lot of people. Does your job involve dealing with people?

Sounds interesting, can you please expand a little more on how to do that?

16. anamaria

anamaria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Junior

It's dificult to explain be cause that's hapen automatically (like the auto and conditional reflexes). Our brain it's a powerfull machine wich can learn and improve himself. Try to remember a word for example. In mind not appear the word, will appear one image (symbol) and that was the connection from the word to the thing. If i think to an apple, my brain offer me the image of fruit not the letters 'a' 'p' 'p' 'l' 'e'. If i remember one name, my brain wil give me a sequence comic, grave or hilare about that persone (or his face). All that's hapen when we let our mind (and brain) non occured with other disturbed things. P.S. my english is not to good but i hope you will understand me. All the best !

17. devilok

devilok
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well i think its just god given . Some people have more digital memory in their brains and others have less. I am not sure if there is anyway to curb this problem. Or you can just and try to make the conversation with that person longer until you completely save him in your brain.:D

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the explanation anamaria, so basically I should relax and not try too hard?

19. anamaria

anamaria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Junior

Right, Fergal. Two way is most important to learn and memorise. First (hard for me) is to repeat things over and over until our brain will create a powerfull sign in our memory and that will help us to remember later. Second way is very simple (but hard to obtain) : must be rellax all time, not angry, not sad, a little indiferent, and we will see the things remaind in our mind easy and for long time.

20. kutuhiphop

kutuhiphop
    uix_expand uix_collapse

haha...it is more hard to remebering people names for me....

it is easier to recognize and remembering their face...because its almost not the same face for most people right?