Recycling Service at home

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by f_rebolledo, Oct 25, 2017.

1. f_rebolledo

f_rebolledo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm from Satiago, Chile. I start a project in the University of recycle service, which basically is picking up the recycle material at the home of people that paid a monthly subscription to me. For example, for US$ 4, you can ask our team to pick up your trash and take it to a clean point. We have a truck that can do this very easly. This is more like a social project, but i see some earning money potential.
    Is this the best way to charge my clients? or should I charge them just when they call me. Do anyone have any better idea? Thanks a lot!

2. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally think that this a great idea. $4 per trip for me is somewhat affordable for a household to pay for their recyclables to be collected from the comfort of their own homes. I'd suggest for you to make it more like a monthly subscription so that you can ensure you have a steady and predictable monthly income and it would force your clients to do better with recycling so that they can take advantage of their subscription.

3. f_rebolledo

f_rebolledo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah! that's the idea, I was also thinking in some sort of trash can that could make it easy for the people to organize their recycles, and that make easier for us to pick it up. I even thought in an app, where you can see how many kilograms had recycled. And compare yourself with your neighbour. It could be expensive, but it surely will make me difference for my potential competition! thanks for your reply.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why not do both? Those who only occasionally need your services can pay a higher, single trip price, where those who pay for subscription pay a lower, monthly cost on a regular basis. This could also increase the number of subscribers, because if someone who calls you occasionally notices they are calling a lot, they realize they can save by buying a subscription.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. f_rebolledo

f_rebolledo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's actually a good idea. How much you would say, that one time service should cost? thinking that subscribing would cost 5 US$, because it has the be at least 2,5 US$ making the subscription attractive enough.
    And what about one free pick up for any first client, making them see how it works and what we offer. That surely will bring new costumers.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A subscription would have to cost less per month to make it financially feasible, so charging $5 per month when a single pickup costs $4 wouldn't make sense - perhaps reverse them? Also, making the first pickup free would also encourage clients to subscribe, where giving someone a free pickup by itself would cause people to get the free pickup, but not use your services when they have to pay for them.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that this is a great idea too. You can also offer a free pick up if they used your service for a certain amount of times. Like if it's their 20th time to use your service, they get the 21st time for free. You can also use the idea for referrals. If they successfully referred at least 3 households that have used your service at least 5 times, they get a free pick up.

8. f_rebolledo

f_rebolledo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But giving free pickups like this would encourage people to not suscribe. The idea is to give people trust in the service, that it is easy, fast and just in time (the time that the customer said he wants the pickup). The referred idea its totally great. That would make me the need to just make one client per street, and then make that one talk with their neighbours. That could be a amazing growth strategy.

9. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm sorry if it came out differently. I mean, I assume this is going to be a monthly subscription. If they continue to do business with you and subscribe (there should be a lock-in period like a minimum of 6months subscription or something like that), on their 20th month they get that one month free or you could offer them a discount. I'm glad you liked the referral option, it's a way for you to have more clients per street that eventually would save you cost (gas and the like).