Radio vs. newspaper ads

Discussion in 'Traditional Offline Marketing' started by RestOwner, Apr 12, 2010.

1. riddings

riddings
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm from the United States so I'm going to base this on US Statistics which may be different in other countries...

Newspaper readership is down yet is most marketings rates continue to rise... Newspaper readership is very segmented, for example, most readers read the front page and don't make it past that section... The good news about newspaper, you'll know if you ad works fairly quickly, the shelf life for a newspaper is 1 to 3 days on average...

Radio is best at providing frequency and through that repetition build top-of-mind-awareness... For example, $5,000 may buy you a 1 quarter-page ad in a metro paper, and that same amount of money will buy you 30 spots in that same metro focused on the same demo...

So a better question to ask yourself, if did you learn the alphabet by spelling really big or did you do it through repetition?

Also, you need to know each media's strengths... Newspaper is AWESOME at sharing DETAILS (magazines are good at this too)... Radio, not so good at providing details... For example, telephone numbers do HORRIBLE on radio unless it's easily memorable... Building excitement or visual imagery is difficult in Newsprint, in Radio, it's a piece of cake... Remember, it's the sound track that makes movies, and in radio, that's all you have is sound and being able to create mental imagery...

So at the end of the day, it all depends on what you're trying to do, and in the perfect marketing world, instead of just using one media, you would use a MARKETING MIX to use media for their strengths while complimenting it with another media to offset their inherent weaknesses...

2. Nathan

Nathan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe they are both effective depending on what you want to advertise. Don't forget your intended audience comes in to play here.

Some radio stations cater for:
    - All ages.
    - Mid ages.
    - Teenagers.
    - Children.

The newspapers however mainly cater for all ages, however are mostly read by people older then the age of 25.

So it depends on what it is you are trying to advertise.

Good luck!

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing those great points with us riddings!
    Newspaper advertising rates have fallen sharply in Ireland, over the last couple of years. It is now much cheaper to buy an Irish newspaper ad, than it has been for quite a few years. Unfortunately most ads are less effective, because consumers are buying less, resulting from the recession.

Nathan, I agree 100%, before advertising in any medium you should research who their readers are and ask if they fit with your target market profile.

I once read about how newspapers were good for advertising high involvement products such as financial services and cars, whereas radio and TV are great for advertising low involvement products such as confectionery. Obviously this is closely tied with the level of detail that can be given, as discussed by Keith.

4. ConradGarrett

ConradGarrett
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Henderson791, newspaper(national publications) reach more people than radio. But why advertise on radio or newspaper if you can do it in the internet? You can reach more people if you advertise online.

5. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Off the radio, everything is not so memorable while on newspaper, it's right there when you need it.

6. VJDMorrey

VJDMorrey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Newspapers V Radio

'Newspaper is best'

Says who? The local newspaper owner?

Look, newsprint circulations have been falling for the last decade to the point where even big city papers are folding or reducing editions. The fall in the economic climate has also had an effect, but the circulation in newsprint is falling. Modern people get their news from radio, TV or online, not from reading ink on dead trees!

TV and online needs attention, whereby you have to do something specific to soak up the message - ie, look at a screen!

Radio is a latent medium (audio wallaper) that doesn't need you to pay attention to pick up the message.

Repetition builds reputation and recognition.

If it was easy, everybody would be successful, which, in case you hadn't noticed, isn't the case.

VM

7. JOEY BONNER

JOEY BONNER
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As part of the marketing team with my previous company(a fast moving consumer goods industry), we decided to get the attention of most people with our recent promos by joining TV ads, Radio ads, Newspaper ads, Online ads, and affiliating with some of top rated TV shows in the country and even traditional marketing strategy like posters and other store merchandising materials. In short, radio and newspaper ads are just but parts of a whole effective marketing strategy.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I bought the weekend edition of Ireland's Irish Times newspaper on Saturday. Most of the ads are towards the back of the paper. I was surprised to see that they had devoted a full page ad to a health supplement they are publishing next week and they had 3 or 4 other ads, promoting their own advertising space, towards the back of the paper. Ad sales are obviously not going so well for them, when they have to use so much premium ad space themselves.

9. JOEY BONNER

JOEY BONNER
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Then, the best lesson there in finding the right newspaper for ads could be that it must be a reputable one with high regards on how they strategically post the ads.

10. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ja! that part I put in "Bold" read kind of funny, I remember I used to love to read the newspaper, but only the celebrity section and cross word puzzle section when I was a teen(not over 25). I'd always ask for it as soon I knew my dad was done with it. :D

11. haramarcuse

haramarcuse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Radio stations in general, do excellent job of putting an enthusiastic environment to their advertisement so many would remember advertisement than the music being played. If you have limited budget, news paper will do anyway.

12. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This question really depends upon various different type of factors. If you are looking to local promotion then Local Newpaper Ads would be better option and also it won't be too much costly. But, if you are looking for targeting full country then National Radio Ads would be the best option as because no such media except TV ads reach to whole country and TV ads are too costly.

13. malkyb

malkyb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think you can discount either one or the other. You have to have a balanced approach to marketing. Radio is good for instant response but you have to watch how your message is delivered and if money is tight which time slots you are allowed. There were some great tips about free or low cost publicity by becoming an 'expert' or using radio (or TV for that matter) for slow news days. Local radio is great if your business is local and you can generally get great results if your market is locally based. The trouble with radio is - you have to have the right people listening to get publicity - newspapers are better in some ways as the message sticks around for a lot longer...:)

14. Infinit-O

Infinit-O
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Newspaper may prove to be the wiser choice, considering that the cost of getting ad space on the newspaper is lower, depending on the size and location of your space of course. With the radio, the price goes up depending on your air time (minutes) and when your ad is played (on or off peak). Having a good sized ad on a newspaper at a reasonable space in the paper every Monday, for example, would be more economical than having a 15second radio ad during off peak hours.

15. justin tauress

justin tauress
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Media professionals are always in search of content and interesting stories. You can exploit this opportunity to serve your interest and gain wide publicity for your business.

16. marktellar

marktellar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Free publicity especially from local talk radio is one great advantage of radio. You will be able to broadcast your message and your product to many people.

17. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The message communicated via radio ads is a bit more fleeting, a bit harder to retain in the target audience's memory. While a newspaper ad offers the benefit of longer message retention, since it's on paper, it's a tangible medium and the target audience can choose to read the ad over and over again.

18. mikevideo

mikevideo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An idea

In my view, newspaper ads is more popular than radio, because, now adays, most of people have no time because of the working. Most of them prefer use their spare time to read newspaper than listen radio. :):):)

19. pakiboyg

pakiboyg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my prospective i will say the newspaper advertisement is a lot better as compared to Radio.
    Because Newspaper has a lot of readers as compared to the radio listeners.

20. Rcp321

Rcp321
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,
    I thought I would chime in with my take on this. Newspaper and radio have been around for as long as most of us can remember. The internet and Social media outlets are fast becoming the norm these days. I think you need to analyze your business and find out "who your clients are, what are their likes and dislikes and how is it that they get thier news and information. From that answer, you'll know where best to spend your advertising dollars. You may very well find that your business doesnt have one specific market and in that case, you'd be better off spending your ad $$ across several medians.

Thanks,
    Rachael