Quick Guide - Promoting Your Business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JonB87, Jan 11, 2020.

?

Was this post helpful?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JonB87

JonB87
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All!

I've just joined and noticed immediately that there are alot of posts asking where to start with promoting your business, instead of spamming the same reply I thought I'd make a thread with a quick start list for you fellow entrepreneurs. Please feel free to add to it
    • Create Your Website, Ensuring On Page SEO Is Perfect And Focused On Appropriate Keywords
    • Create Appropriate Email Addresses For Your Company (ie admin@, support@, sales@ etc)
    • Create Your Social Media Pages And Post Regularly With Appropriate Hash Tags To Gain Audience
    • Setup Google Search Console For Your Website
    • Setup Google Analytics For Your Website
    • Create Google My Business Page For Your Company
    • Promote Your Website With Offpage SEO (Link Building)
    • Promote Your Website With Your Social Media Accounts
    • Commit A Budget To A Google Ads Campaign, Be Sure To Focus On Your Existing Keywords/Phrases
    • Create Mailing Lists And Encourage Signups On Your Website, Then Send Informative Non-Spammy Emails (Maybe Once Per Month To Not Annoy Potential Customers)
    I hope that helps!

2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I pretty much disagree with everything in your list!
    • Create Your Website, Ensuring On Page SEO Is Perfect And Focused On Appropriate Keywords - You may not need SEO. And keyword focus is no longer applicable.
    • Create Appropriate Email Addresses For Your Company (ie admin@, support@, sales@ etc) - OK. But just one is often enough
    • Create Your Social Media Pages And Post Regularly With Appropriate Hash Tags To Gain Audience - Not necessary for many
    • Sign Up For A Google Account For Your Business - May be useful but often not necessary
    • Setup Google Search Console For Your Website - Not necessary - you many not be relying on the SE for traffic
    • Setup Google Analytics For Your Website - There are better analytics packages
    • Create Google My Business Page For Your Company - May not be necessary. Especially so if you offer non-geographic serivces
    • Promote Your Website With Offpage SEO (Link Building) - NO!
    • Promote Your Website With Your Social Media Accounts - Rarely works
    • Commit A Budget To A Google Ads Campaign, Be Sure To Focus On Your Existing Keywords/Phrases - PPC may not be needed
    • Create Mailing Lists And Encourage Signups On Your Website, Then Send Informative Non-Spammy Emails (Maybe Once Per Month To Not Annoy Potential Customers) - Depends on the business. Building the mailing list can take months.
    I do see where you got the idea from though

3. JonB87

JonB87
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fisicx!

Thanks for your reply buddy, I'm really interested to see how you have drawn such conclusions;

What has lead you to believe that keyword focus is no longer applicable? Keyword mention in content, headers, and meta data is the base of any and all search engine algorithm. It is literally impossible to rank for a keyword that does not appear on the page.

Just having one email is sloppy and there is no reason not to create all applicable emails. Imagine emailing the support department for a company and receiving a response from sales@... it takes seconds to setup each email address so why wouldn't you for the sake of professionalism.

It has been proven with tons of data that social media interaction is very much necessary for all businesses in this day and age. I know companies from trailer shops to mechanics to jewellery makers that all make a significant number of sales through their social media pages.

Saying something is useful but not necessary is simply bizarre, nothing is necessary, everything is useful in the aim of promoting a business.

Google is a vital traffic source for everyone. Not working on it is just throwing potential customers to your competitors.

Google My Business is not just about geographical location... It is the replacement for Google + and allows you to have better control of your business card on Google, including listing services and posting updates and offers that appear immediately within a search result.

No idea why you would say NO! to link building, this is one of the most important aspects of SEO and also serves as an additional marketing funnel in it's own right.

Already mentioned how and why you should promote through social media.

I agree that PPC may not be needed if organic sales are working well enough, hence it being at the end of the list.

Regarding mailing lists your comment didn't really provide a response of any sort. Yes it depends on the business, and yes building a mailing list can take months. What is your point here exactly?

4. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

The search engines and in particular Google have changed a lot in the last year or two. The focus now is EAT: expertise, authority and trust. Keywords are a by product of this but the homogeneity of the site is far more important. Inbound links no need to be citations that support the EAT. Rrviews, testimonials and so on. These have to be earned rather than built.

Many businesses do very well without the search engines. For example, most of my visitors come from referral sites. And I go directly to amazon or eBay when I want to buy things.

Social Media I agree can work for many but that doesn't mean it's necessary for all. If you sell building sand to the trade I doubt an Instagram post is going to be of much use. Social media works best when other people do the marketing for you - it's not about what you post, it's what other people post about you. This will lead to your SM page which, as above, needs to show EAT.

You list has some good ideas but they should just be considered as ideas. There are many more ways to promote a business that may or may not work for each business. For example:

https://www.creativeboom.com/tips/100-inspiring-ideas-to-market-your-business/
    https://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2014/06/12/marketing-ideas
    https://www.thebalancesmb.com/small-business-marketing-ideas-2951688

Google gave me a whole bunch of lists to look at.

5. VITS USA

VITS USA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you follow Google Algorithm 100% and update your website timely then you can easily achieve your goal in Digital Marketing. A goal needs to be fixed because there are multiple activities in online marketing that you can perform to bring more traffic, conversion, etc....

6. linneasandel

linneasandel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with your every point and very nice ideas to promote any business. Well, whenever I need to promote my business effectively than I always go forward with offline marketing strategies where I have found so many things such as promotional products, newspapers, radio, newsletters, flyers, etc. but I choose the promotional products because they have become popular among the people and most of the marketers are choosing these items as they can be easily customized as per the marketing and branding needs.

7. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Point to note: @linneasandel works for a company selling promotional items

8. Srijana Pandey

Srijana Pandey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As I read your question, There are many marketing factors which help you to grow and develop your business. These are SEO, Billboard Adverting, television Adverts and placement, radio, traditional mail, email marketing, Social media marketing and all that you can go with any of them.