Posting Competitor Price & Options Chart

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by PLSR, Nov 5, 2018.

1. PLSR

PLSR
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

Wanted to get an opinion from anyone who might have knowledge (whether legal or strategical) on this subject.

We are managing a website for a client who has gathered data from 7 different competitor businesses who offer virtually identical service to which my client does. There are about 10 criteria including business name, cost, availability of certain features and google ranking.

The client is asking me to post a table chart on their website listing the 7 competitors plus his company (in random order) and fill in the comps data in the 10 columns. All information is accurate to his knowledge as it has been taken directly from competitors websites. It does not offer any negative information about the competition, in fact some of the specs are better than his.

My questions are:
    1. Is it legal to post something like this on my clients business website?
    2. Would this really be as good of a marketing strategy as my clients presumes or is it a waste of time?

B.T.W. My clients cost is the cheapest out of all (if that makes any difference).

Thank you in advance.

2. Tuah Bao

Tuah Bao
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi PLSR,

It all depends on the laws and regulations in a specific country. I have seen many comparison charts on the internet. So, it may be alright to do so because:

1) Your client is basically gathering public information (which is available to everyone)
    2) No negative information about the competition, therefore no defamation issue.

However, depends on how much content you are copying from the competitors' website. You may have violated someone's copyright or may want to defend on the basis of fair use. Anyway, the easiest way is to consult a lawyer.

3. VITS USA

VITS USA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should follow terms and conditions of the websites before implementation. What is your goal? Because if you think according to marketing purpose then you will have to implement everything differently.