please review our new business: Payllery

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Jeremie, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Jeremie

Jeremie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to post this.

I am launching a new business with a couple friends and wanted the community's opinion about it.

We started working on Payllery.com after we got frustrated with other e-commerce platforms out there. Although Shopify, WooCommerce, Wix and others are very powerful if used right, they do require some effort to design, configure and maintain.

At the same time, we saw a ton of small businesses skipping the website altogether and advertising their products directly on Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, TikTok etc. They just display their items and take order via DMs, emails or whatsapp.

This is the use case for Payllery. It's a shoppable product gallery, linked to your own PayPal account (we're adding Stripe and others shortly), that takes minutes to setup and launch. You can then paste your Payllery URL to your Instagram bio, Facebook page, Google Maps listing, or anywhere you want.

For example, this is what an Instagram bio looks like with the Payllery link:

Jessica Payllery Instagram.png
    Opening the Payllery URL takes the customer straight to the product gallery: It's fast and (we think) beautiful. You can see a live demo store here:

https://mystore.payllery.com/

The signup process has been designed to be super simple. Your store is online in literally 3 clicks (+1 to connect your PayPal account :))

[​IMG]

Adding your items is also just a matter of a few clicks.

[​IMG]

You can sell any any kind of physical or digital products, services, bookings (you can link your Google Calendar to let your customers book a time slot).

The beta is live and we are still adding new features every week but I was curious to get the community's first reactions. I'll answer any question, comment, criticism or (hopefully) praise ;)

Feel free to signup on https://payllery.com/ and play with the platform directly of course. There is a 30 day free trial (no credit card needed) so you can use all functionalities without limit. If needed, I'll extend the trial for anyone from this forum. Just ask.

Thanks for your contribution and hope some of you will like it :)

Jeremie

Attached Files:

2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I’m confused. If your use case is targeting those who market directly on their sm pages how is your product any different to any other e-commerce store?

3. Jeremie

Jeremie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is technically not very different. You can absolutely create the same product gallery with Shopify or WooCommerce and post the link in your Instagram bio. But since we stripped all other parts of the website, we get there faster and easier. We simply lower the bar for people who find Shopify too difficult to set up.

4. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I'd never recommend anyone use Shopify, it's awful.

I did try to set up payllery store but it says I need to sign in with my Google account - I don't have one. And I can't chat either as it uses messenger which isn't installed on my mac.

Your terms say I have to pay your monthly fee but you don't tell me what these are. It also says you will distribute my content with other organizations but you don't tell me who these are.

5. Jeremie

Jeremie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your comments!

We are adding Apple ID and email as sign in method shortly. I know that not all Mac users have a Google account.

As for the monthly fees, our plans are displayed on the home page: Payllery.com

With regards to sharing data with other organization, this is a provisional statement but we don't currently share your data with anyone. We do use Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel but that's it.

6. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

The problem is once on the signup page there is no path back to the homepage to see the costs. On the homepage people will simple click on the button without scrolling down (because that's how people are).

However...

I've had a look at the demo and have some questions:

1. Can I brand my store (fonts, colours etc)?
    2. Can I add descriptions and technical specifications to a product?
    3. Do you support downloadable products?
    4. How you show variants (colours, sizes etc)?
    5. Can you add bundles and associated products?
    6. Where is the link back to the source site (eg FB or linkedin or wherever)?
    7. Can you have multiple currencies?
    8. Where do I add a shipping address?

7. Jeremie

Jeremie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great questions!

1. Can I brand my store (fonts, colours etc)?
    You can upload your own logo and description. However we do not offer color customization or themes. This is on purpose: we want people to have a beautiful store out of the box.

2. Can I add descriptions and technical specifications to a product?
    Absolutely

3. Do you support downloadable products?
    Yes. We are releasing this in a week or two

4. How you show variants (colours, sizes etc)?
    This is also being released in a couple weeks

5. Can you add bundles and associated products?
    Not directly, but you can create a product that is itself a bundle of course

6. Where is the link back to the source site (eg FB or linkedin or wherever)?
    In your store description, you can add links to your Telegram, WhatsApp, Instagram...

7. Can you have multiple currencies?
    Your currency is automatically set when you link your PayPal account. We will display the PayPal currency for all your products.

8. Where do I add a shipping address?
    As a customer, you would enter the shipping address during checkout (using the PayPal form). This will be automatically retrieved by our API and displayed under "My Orders".

8. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

1. You think it's beautiful. I don't. There are a whole load of UX issues and want to fix some of them by changing the styling. For starters, I don't want a round logo.

2. Then why don't you show this in the demo?

3&4. Then say so on the site

5. Not the same thing but OK

6. Nope. If I've just come from an advert on FB I want to be able to go back to that feed not to the FB of the shop owner.

7. No. I'm in the UK. If someone in the USA want to buy something they need to see the prices in dollars. My PP account is set up for 4 different currencies.

8. If I'm in the USA I want to ship to my friend in Canada. PayPal doesn't have this option. It's a checkout function.

Don't get me wrong, I think the product is an OK start but there are lots of small things need sorting to make it a good product. There are already loads of selling apps I can use. Shpock is heavily marketed as is Preloved.

9. Jeremie

Jeremie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks again for all this feedback. It was a conscious decision to not let people design or customize the interface too much. We want to limit the number of decisions needed before someone can launch their shop. It's definitely not for everyone and, as you rightly said, there are many alternatives for those who prefer more customization. But we hope it will appeal to the less techy those who want to get straight to the point.

Regarding currency and shipping country: this depends on your PayPal account settings, and we do let you configure this of course. The buyer can enter any address during checkout so you can definitely ship to Canada as a US seller.

Shpock and Preloved are two excellent platforms for second hand items. We are a bit different in that we are targeting businesses who sell their own product. Of course it's still early and there are lots of tweaks needed :)

10. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I agree, it should be easy to set up a shop. But once setup, you should be able to tweak the settings. For example, the font is way too big. I’d like to reduce this for a better ux. I’d also like to edit the category button colour. Small thing but big impact.

If I’m shipping to a different country charges will be different. Can I set shipping charges depending on destination? By the time I get to PayPal it’s too late.

11. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Can you add multiple images for each product? This is quite important if you are selling something with fine details or is different front and back.

The shipping is something you need to fix. You have an item with free shipping. If set a delivery address of New Zealand shipped from the USA is it still free?

12. Jeremie

Jeremie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can already add multiple photos per product. We will enable videos too.

Shipping is an important part of any e-commerce business and we will shortly add integrations with third party solutions: from the "print your own label" types, to fulfillment providers. Currently, you can already define shipping rules at the product level. Note that the mystore.payllery.com site has many "free shipping" items but that's just a demo and I don't expect any order, whether from NZ or elsewhere ;)

13. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Yes, I get that. But you won’t know the shipping address until you get to PayPal checkout. This means you won’t be able to add the correct shipping costs.

Your store demo should show all the options and functions so people can see how good it is.

And the styling does need some work, I’ve shown it to a number of people and everyone commented that the font sizes were too big

14. Jeff F

Jeff F
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't had the opportunity to review all of the terms of use, etc but conceptually, I think this is a great idea. Looking forward to seeing it blossom.