Please give me tips to improve my blog.

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by simplyjo, Nov 8, 2009.

1. manu.kumaar26

manu.kumaar26
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All i can suggest you to spend two to three time in week to stay update with your subject.
    And even u collect the reviews of the movies from magazines and post it in your blog..

2. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi - Thx for the tips but I would much rather write my own honest reviews of movies I have seen, in my words, rather than copying from a magazine or anywhere else.

3. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello simplyjo,

I will tell you my honest opinion about your blog.

First, I would highly advice you to create a dot com blog/website instead a free blog in order to get more traffic. I personally don't give much importance to free blog hosting as they don't look very professional.

One of the reason is that you can check movies reviews on many quality and popular website so people might not be interested in reading your blog to check what is your opinion about a movie if they can find a professional opinion on a popular website.

I don't say that to discourage you thought, I'm sure you can do pretty well, I went throught your blog and I think you have good writing skills.

You should add a plugin to allow people to rate the films with stars, and allow them to give their opinion about the movie in the comment, you should encourage them to write their comments review.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

To echo what Benjamin says, I also feel that you need to find something unique that your blog can offer. You are competing with sites that have huge resources and a large review team. There are only so many movies that you can watch and review on your own. If you don't have something unique to offer, you will find it difficult to win visitors from the larger movie sites.

Maybe you could post quirky or negative reviews. Maybe you could focus on a particular genre of movie, so that your blog becomes known in that genre. You could even become more specific and review movies from one particular year, actor, director or production company. These are just ideas of specific niches you might focus on.

5. andrikcode

andrikcode
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Wordpress is better than Blogspot. Because a blog on WordPress is more personalized than that on blogspot. A blog on blogspot has a small bar on top of your blog with features such as next blog,create blog,sign in, which makes it less personalized as person on your blog can can click on it & go to the next blog.:)

6. hetal_387

hetal_387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some tips from my side.

(1) If possible change the template (But don't forget to take backup first)
    (2) Post more frequently and consistently with quality post
    (3) Try to get your own domain name
    (4) try to get some back links from the same theme website.
    (5) Do guest blogging on some famous movie review site (It will bring you lots of visitors)
    (6) work on Meta Data of your SEO
    (7) "Add About me" page and "About this blog"
    (8) Prepare your blogroll also
    (9) Create some interesting polls regularly which will make your blog popular and visitor come back to your blog again and again because people loves to do some polls on Movies, favorite actors and actress.

Good Luck.

7. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with many of the suggestions you've been given.

I would register a domain name such as www.moviereviewangel.com (keywords prominent). You an get good, reliable, cheap hosting and upload your own wordpress blog.

Look at some of the themes and skins like thesis & magazine or blogussion that may create a great looking site.

Consider taking advantage of the "if you liked this movie you might also like...." a strategy made famous by Amazon. if implemented you could add a search function that let's readers search for movies they liked and what you recommend they may also like.

Potentially you could let people build a favorites list and share favorites / tips / suggestions through quite a simple forum (such as the WP simple press forum plugin) - or encouraged through comments..

Create an optin box where people can subscribe to be alerted to new updates / specials.

Consider monetizing your own site by adding home technology for movie watching (such as thorugh an amazon store), books (for movies based on books and if you liked this you may also like...), DVDs, soundtracks etc,

Consider driving traffic to your site through Squidoo and hubpages etc by writing things like how to become movie reviewer, 3 things you need to know before writing a movie review etc etc etc

Encourage people to bookmark and share your reviews through WP plugins like sexy bookmarks or add to any

That's it from me - except possibly if you build out your site with the extras as suggested yu can get others to write reviews of different technology, books etc to allow you to add more site, more frequently without impacting your only adding reviews of movies you've seen. The other thing would be to possibly run a competition for the best review of a specific movie / movie genre voted on by readers (run page on facebook/twitter etc to generate interest and public voting). The prize could be a guest review spot once a month or something similar????

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth - hope it is helpful or gives you some ideas.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, you can remove that bar above. It's just a little CSS trick. :D
    Look at mine, I'm using Blogger (Blogspot) but mine don't have a bar like that.

9. Grey Brother

Grey Brother
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you blog look good.