Pick the Success Story of Facebook

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by upineter, May 10, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Fergal, you're quite right in that regard. I guess people put too much stress on business ideas because that's the first requirement that you need. The importance of the decision to pursue this goal and implement it should also be stressed and might even be more important. Any good idea cannot come into fruition or be realized without these other parts of the equation.

2. avi007i

avi007i
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Be careful when you are marketing on facebook and myspace. Recently, Myspace won a case against two individuals who SPAMMED the members of myspace with marketing mails and Myspace won approximately $200 million.

3. upineter

upineter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I get recent information that said Mark as builder of facebook have law problem with copyright of source code. I think it is bad inspiration for me now :D

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've also read about this in the papers. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is being sued by his fellow Harvard students Tyler Winklevoss, Cameron Winklevoss and Divya Narendra. In the suit, they claimed that they hired Mark Zuckerberg to work on Harvard Connection, a website that later became ConnectU and that he'd taken code he'd written for ConnectU.

Upon reading articles on this lawsuit, it is clear that the idea of Facebook wasn't Mark's in the first place. You're right upineter, Mark is not a good role model.

5. CLSbrunette

CLSbrunette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is just to divert from the negatives: :)

Facts about Facebook: (lifted from our online source: fastcompany.com)
    According to comScore Media Metrix, which tracks Web activity, it is now the sixth most-trafficked site in the United States--1% of all Internet time is spent on Facebook. ComScore also rates it the number-one photo-sharing site on the Web, with 6 million pictures uploaded daily. And it is starting to compete with Google and other tech titans as a destination for top young engineering talent in Silicon Valley.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum CLSbrunette!

Yes, those statistics show that Facebook is now very successful. Facebook's Alexa traffic ranking is also number 8. Even with all the negative publicity brought about by the lawsuit against the CEO and founder, Facebook is still going strong. But this doesn't change the fact that Facebook came about because of a stolen idea and stolen codes. :(

7. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I need to agree that FaceBook is a very successful and inspirative company yet I've to believe that it is a stolen idea. Maybe every successful idea doesn't evolve itself, it comes out with time, the environment and the community you're living with. Often by the foretold ideas spoken out by general people. We cannot ignore this - A simple idea can make you Millionaire.

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another social networking website is making headlines and it's what most people might consider boring, it's LinkedIn.com. If you compare facebook or myspace to LinkedIn, you will see that LinkedIn would be too dull and just comes in as flat. Irregardless of these minor flaws, LinkedIn is now grabbing the spotlight because it is aimed more for Networking and not Social. It is for the white-collar or business-minded individuals who wants to increase their network and because of this, it is growing considerably faster than facebook and myspace.

9. chica

chica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I envy the starter of facebook. Although it is a love-hate relationship. I am an avid member of facebook. I have a grand scheme for a site. Lots of programming to be done. lol I should get started. =)

10. JPolito830

JPolito830
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook is just ridiculous...I remember making a profile four years ago when there was literally 1,00 people on the site. Now look at it!

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

JPolito, do you still have that original profile?

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why? What happened to your profile Jason?

I had read a newspaper article before saying that you can never delete your details from Facebook. Even if you request that your account be deleted, your personal details will still be there. I guess this is the reason why I never tried registering in their website.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've just joined FaceBook. Looks very impressive, it immediately found five people that I know very well, even though it searched through an email address book that I don't use much.

I can't view their profiles until they accept me as a friend, so I'll know more then.

14. akhanna18

akhanna18
    uix_expand uix_collapse

making someone your ideal is a good thing as it inspires you alot and makes you move further on the path of your aim...