Passion vs Money

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Zantetsken

Zantetsken
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I strongly believe that everyone should enjoy their lives and not live a life of merely existing and suffering, but people also need to have responsibility and a sense of reality. It is sometimes possible to live by your dreams, but that's generally not a realistic goal. If it isn't something you're capable of doing, I don't think you should invest a bunch of time and money into it - you're only going to increase your debts.
    You should just try to get a normal job, even if it's boring. I didn't like waking up early in the morning to go to school, but you have to make sacrifices. Waking up early and sitting through boring classes was the price I had to pay to get a good education. Life isn't all fun and games.

But if you're just working your days away at a job you hate... if the only thing you're doing in life is earning money... what's the point of living? It's almost as if you aren't even living - money is running your life. This is why I think that people should enjoy their spare time and try not to work too much more than what's necessary. Yeah, it's nice to have some extra money, but you won't be able to enjoy that big screen TV or fast internet connection if you're always busy working your life away.

If you can get a job you enjoy, great, but that should only be a bonus, not a standard. Work is something that you have to do to live; it isn't a game.

2. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As for the question, I choose Passion over money.

At first, I was really scared to resign from my regular job. This is maybe because I am going out of my comfort zone but I took the risk to pursue my own business with no security at all. I am aware that there are those who pursue their passion and became broke. But there are those who succeed, very few of them. I look up to these people. They are the living examples that all of us can be successful too.

Success is taking risk. That's why few became successful because only few will take the risk to pursue their passion.

#22 prettysue, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. dodgerDude

dodgerDude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Passion vs Money? I'd rather choose Money. My point of view for passion changed when I got married and had a son. You need to work to earn money and think of ways on how to raise your family and give them a decent lifestyle.

4. abadie

abadie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

make money from passion. i'm agree with emily.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very interesting point. If you look at the background of any successful person you will always see that they have taken risks. You will almost always see that some of their original risks ended in failure.

Many years ago I got quite a surprise when a successful businessman told me that he hated risk. It wasn't that he didn't take risks, but he always worked very hard to minimise it.

This is another characteristic of successful business people. They will take risk, but they don't rush into it and they work damn hard to minimise the downside and ensure that the risk goes in their favour.

6. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be practical i personally choose money initially.atleast after that i have a chance to go for my passion...

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Deepak, have you ever considered the idea that you might actually earn more money in the long run if you focused on what you enjoyed and were passionate about?

8. steppysteph

steppysteph
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have tried working just for the money at a job that is boring. I got tired of it after a month and just stopped doing it altogether. Then I found something that I am interested in but I still had to learn a lot of things before I could really start earning money from it, I studied and researched about it for several months and now I am making good money from it while enjoying doing it. This is the best way of earning money!

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You've mentioned in another thread that you sell stock illustrations in another thread and doing fairly well in it. Is this the passion that you're referring to steppysteph?

Anyway, I'm glad that you've found your passion and now earning a living on it at the same time. I commend you for working very hard studying and learning all you can about your passion. You're one of the lucky ones.

10. jigyasa

jigyasa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think our parents' concern is genuine. Money is an important factor to sustain oneself. My solution lies mid way. Do the job for money and find time to accommodate your passion. Let the passion progress in time until you can afford to turn it into your profession.

11. djschwab

djschwab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I left a high paying job about 1 1/2 ago to start my own consulting business. While I sometimes question the sanity of this move, I have never been happier as I doing something I actually love. The real trick is to make alot of money doing something you really love. I'm still working on that one.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Congratulations and well done. If you are self-employed and enjoying what you are doing you should be much more successful in the long run.

13. harmin

harmin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I asked myself the same questions.My father in his childhood and young age had shown a very bad period.But now he is a successful and reputed businessman.He prefer saving rather than worthless expenditure.I am going to join my father's business and I realize the importance of money from my father's past.I am not against the expenses but in favor of saving money.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Harmin, it sounds like you have an excellent opportunity there in terms of business and in terms of what you can learn from your father.

Many people think of business, simply in terms of making money. However, a business' survival depends on its costs being strictly controlled.

15. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Businessmen, especially the successful ones, are even more frugal than others. While I was working as a teller for a bank before, I often see customers wearing very plain and old clothes but have a lot of money in their accounts. So with regards to people, you also cannot judge them by the clothes they wear.

In business, I think that accumulation of money should be the goal. Accumulation of money is not the same as showing off money though. I believe that material possessions are to be used in the process of building wealth. So showing off money and trying to look better than other people is contradictory to the accumulation of money. We should earn the most amount of money while spending the least amount of money on overhead.

16. SarahQ

SarahQ
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do what you enjoy

When you hear someone complaining about their job, it's usually because they don't like what they do. When you set up your own business, you need to think first of what you enjoy and what interests you, then worry about the money. You will never be totally successful doing something that bores you to death.

If you have a passion for what you do, there are no limits to what levels you can reach.

17. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is the same as what was discussed in the thread - Passion vs Money.
    I guess this is another vote for passion over money. :)

18. SarahQ

SarahQ
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I must have missed that thread

Didn't mean to double post but then again, this is a crucial element to success so perhaps it deserves to be emphasized.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've also witnessed very rich people go to surprising lengths to save a very small amount of money.

I agree with the sentiment 100%. Has anyone got practical suggestions on how to implement this in practice?

As a start, I'd suggest writing down a list of everything you enjoy doing and working on. Then take each item on the list and write down ways you could make money from doing it.

Threads merged!

20. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think a lot depends on your life situation at that particular time when it comes to choosing between passion and money.

It's easier to follow your passion if you're eighteen with no ties and wealthy parents backing you than if you're thirty with a mortgage and three kids to think about.

I don't think you should ever give up your passion in your heart though, no matter what it is. You may not be in a position to follow it right now but that doesn't mean the day will never come.

To my mind food on the table comes first and passion comes second. If you can combine the two, fantastic, but if not, money has to win every time. I don't imagine it would be too easy to be passionate about anything when you have financial worries hanging over you.