OPINIONS, PLEASE...

Discussion in 'Employer Issues' started by S.Regnu, Dec 14, 2017.

1. S.Regnu

S.Regnu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am very interested in the thoughts and opinions of others re the following business scenario:
    • Work environment is an in inherently hazardous environment (museum comprised of old warships) that hosts overnight educational programs for kids.
    • A young boy was nearly killed during an overnight program due to the failure of the responsible supervisor (supervisor is early 20's with no business, managerial, professional or interpersonal skills). The supervisor had turned away from their responsibilities in exasperation due to poor behavior from the program's children; supervisor failed to observe & asses the situation, apply appropriate discipline & management, & failed to enlist & deploy adult attendees to assist with monitoring safety.
    • That supervisor continued to be assigned a leadership role during subsequent overnight programs, and resigned for another job that failed relatively quickly.
    • That same individual has just been rehired in what may be considered to be an upper management role in the organization.
    I have many, many prior years of I.T. experience in a wide range of companies, industries & environments, including successful managerial & supervisory roles. Is it just me, or is this one of the most stupid things that you have ever encountered? Does this sound like an undesirable place to work?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It may not be an undesirable place to work if this is an isolated incident. Based on what you have stated, I probably would not have put this person in an upper management position, or rehired them in the first place. I'm also wondering why they would put a young person with no experience in a supervisory position. Without knowing more about any training programs they may have in place, and/or more about their hiring practices, it is hard to judge, but it does seem like mistakes were definitely made which could have been avoided.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. S.Regnu

S.Regnu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

Thank you for your time, and your thoughts. Simple explanation: They do that here (no, not an isolated incident); there are no training programs. Uppermost mgt has a similar lack of experience and is present, long-term, only due to nepotism. The hazardous work environment requires trained, skilled staff; yet, there is no interest in employee morale or retention.

4. Jen MCDade

Jen MCDade
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The hazardous workplace environment needs to install safety solutions like remote monitoring devices to track the employees and provide them immediate assistance in case of emergency.

5. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Not always. Remote monitoring may be needed for lone workers but if part of a team with good safe working practices then you don't need remote monitoring.

A better solution is to remove the hazard in order to reduce the risk in the first place.