Need advice on starting a cafe business...???

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by adr34531, Dec 1, 2017.

1. adr34531

adr34531
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My dad owns a relatively large convenient store/ gas station. We were thinking of doing something in order to increase traffic in our store. I had an idea of adding a mini cafe/deli within the store. I orginally was thinking of having an addition built to attach to the store, but then i thought we should start small then expand as business grew. We do sell a decent amount of bagged coffee, but i want to increase the variety. There is another coffee shop in a plaza relatively close by but its in a enclosed parking lot and i believe we have easier access for customers and therefore, better business.

I was wondering, does anyone have any experience or suggestions as to what i need to do in order to get started? Do u think i have a good idea? Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!!

#1 adr34531, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey! I do think that this is a good idea. You do have a great plan in mind, I also agree about adding the mini cafe within the store since this can also help increase the sales of the convenience store itself. You can just start off by putting up a coffee counter and a sitting area for the customers. I do think that you have a market there even if there's a coffee shop nearby because I believe that people who'd gas up at your station would prefer getting everything at one place than going someplace else for coffee if it's readily available there, especially if they are traveling.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ruksar sheikh

ruksar sheikh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    Its a brilliant idea that you have thought of. You can definitely add a coffee shop in the gas station. If you are expecting people to buy coffee while filling gas, then you just have to ensure that you have a decent sitting and amazing coffee.

If you are thinking of making you shop a little famous so that drive an extra mile to fill up gas at your station so that they can get coffee at your place, you need to make sure :
    1. Coffee has local varieties along with local food which people can enjoy
    2. Introduction of foreign coffee, like madras coffee in US would be unbelievably great and economical too.
    3, Snacks which people often munch on.

4. Julia Sta Romana

Julia Sta Romana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's a couple gas stations in our neighborhood that did exactly the same thing.

The 1st gas station was mainly a stop for long distance travelers and delivery drivers. So what they did was they simply added a convenience store and served coffee and simple fare round the clock.

The 2nd gas station was closer to a residential area and they had more space than what they needed. So what they did was they created commercial buildings and rented it out to turn it into a community hub.

Hope this helps.