My Blog Mistake

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by stcay, Aug 29, 2017.

1. stcay

stcay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I’m sure you’ve heard this a lot before, but I’m having trouble with my blog’s audience.

I have a blog and its long; it’s also free because I’ve followed suit with everyone else. (everyone else does this type of blog for free so I should do it too) Not charging money mind you, but I’ve never even tried to collect email addresses (bad move I know)

I’ve given away my content for free and I fear I have spoiled my audience. I’ve been doing it for years. They won’t even sign to my email list. I get about 130 visits a day, but maybe one comment every few months.

If I had to do it again I would have put part of my content and stories up for free then asked for an email address to continue reading. At least I would have built an email list I could engage. But I feel like the damage has been done, what should I do?

Will I make them mad if I asked for email addresses this way now? Or would this be an effective way to weed out true fans from not so true fans?

One thing is for sure, I'm putting out content and feels like I'm throwing my ideas and stories into the wind, Wasting them.

Any advice?

2. Utpal

Utpal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest that you create separate, irresistible content which can only be seen after signing up. Automated emails, PDF etc. In this way you can get some email sign ups. Also you can hide some content which can only be unlocked after some one shares it into social media.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am concerned about why you are getting 130 visits a day, but only one comment every few months. Are the visitors bouncing out, or are they reading any of the content? In any case, putting up only part of the content, and then forcing them to enter an email address to continue reading, would alienate more people than it would attract. I have ben frustrated a few times when I've seen a link to an article, then found out I have to subscribe to actually read it. Using Google Analytics, you can find out how long the visitors have stayed and where they went, so you can have an idea of whether the majority of your visitors are actually reading your blog posts. If they are not, I would take a hard look at the blog posts themselves, to see if they really are interesting enough to hold the visitors interest.

I'm not sure how this would help get more visitors to the blog. Why would someone, who may not be interested in the content of the blog, sign up to get emails? Hiding content that must be shared on social media before a visitor can read it also would frustrate more visitors than it would attract(see my comment above). Giving people the option to subscribe, however, should be mandatory, but it should be an option, not a requirement.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. mikipatel

mikipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You just need opt-in forms all over your website if you want people to subscribe to your website. Try creating an incentive that will be digitally delivered to them if they opt in to your email list.

5. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try creating special content for your followers who signed up to your newsletters. Also, to think, 130 visits a day but you only get one comment every few months? I'd suggest for you to review the content you share, look into that to see what's causing these numbers.

6. Smith-K

Smith-K
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Chances are that you probably have some working to do on the content part. You need to find out as to why they are leaving your site and yes not having them in your list is probably the biggest mistake you have committed till date. Go grab a good subscription plugin and then post the results for us to see.