Is twitter and facebook is useful in SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Grame, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's actually not true any longer. Google have recently confirmed that they give authority to links posted on Twitter by people that they consider to have social authority, even when those links have no-follow tags applied.

2. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd go a lot further and say that it was never true.

While no-followed links might not pass PR and might not be as valuable as a followed link, they always have had value. In terms of the direct referral traffic, but also in relation to other aspects of the algorithms. There's far more to ranking than simply PR, a relatively simple and outdated concept in what is now a fairly complex system, where no-followed links and even citations (non clickable references) play a part.

3. robertwells

robertwells
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook and Twitter are the main social networking sites today. Social networks are a source of good traffic and makes what these two useful SEO.These are a pure source of traffic as the search engines and eventually drive twitter and facebook more specific customer's engines search.

#23 robertwells, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
  4. jackysouer

jackysouer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there are certain rules u need to take care off to get the seo benefits of twitter and fb

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ehhh?

Firstly, I'd ask that if you're going to make a statement like this you'd give some sort of reference or at least some vague information as to what you're referring to.

Secondly, I'd point out that it's blatantly not true. There are no 'rules' that you must follow. You can gain SEO benefits from either platform without ever having an account on either or being aware that either exists. If users choose to share your pages on FB or twitter (which they can do without a need for an integrated share button, that simply increases the chances of others sharing it) you can gain benefits without having to "take care of certain rules". I'm not sure exactly what point the poster was trying to make (perhaps it's that the value achieved in dependant on various factors?), but I'd hope that it doesn't lead to confusion among readers.

6. Nill Smith

Nill Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes social media is really important to get more traffic as per malkyb said. Dear malkyb you make really easy to understand about this question.. Thanks buddy..

7. xanderlangley

xanderlangley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social media sites does not help in getting higher serps but they will definitely improve your real time search rankings.Traffic is another reason why social media sites are so effective in SEO.

8. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They do. Both Bing and Google have openly confirmed this and it has been validated by numerous tests and studies, as already pointed out numerous times in this thread. In fact, some of the social media signals have higher correlation to high rankings than many of the 'old' top factors suggesting they play a fairly significant role in rankings (though also as a result of it being a strong signal that other positive actions will happen).

9. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Links from Social Media will not improve your websites search engine rankings. However, you can optimize your social media profile to have it appear in the top results. Eventhough it doesn't helps in SEO it can still benefit your business overnight!!

10. Yanni

Yanni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

11. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I might suggest that people read the thread before posting. It has been stated, with proof (both official announcements from the search engines and third party verification), that social media signals (including no-followed links) do have a direct impact on rankings. It has been the case for quite some time (relatively speaking in such a dynamic and fast paced industry). It isn't one of the subjective elements of SEO where there can be various opinions, it's a fact.

12. Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social media and SEO are more intertwined than ever before; just look at the creation of the latest social network, Google+. Google, the undisputed king of search, is making a viable attempt at entering into the realm of social media, solidly owned by Facebook. Meanwhile, Facebook and Bing have formed a partnership to personalize the individual SERP of every Bing searcher. What does this mean for site owners? If you want your SEO to succeed, you have to start incorporating elements of social media into the mix.

13. MrPolarZero

MrPolarZero
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It will only generate traffic from users but it will not increase your SERPs. You can do that in Facebook by creating fan pages.

14. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a part time tax business.
    I have an A plus web site.
    My business is all local
    I need ideas to touch my local community only through the internet
    Thanks in advance,

Chris

15. IndianWedding

IndianWedding
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ya by using both social networking site more traffics are created.

16. kayeness2010

kayeness2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

including twitter and facebook in your set of techniques for traffic building (and SEO) can make a difference (even if not that big).

but more than just these 2 popular social media networks is the over all process, resources, and techniques that you have to make it to the #1 spot in search engines.