Is a computer cafe a great business these days?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by RestOwner, May 5, 2010.

1. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ok. i was just the only who wants to go on the net while on the beach
    i live nearby the beach and surrounded by beach. so maybe its just me :D

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I know that when I'm on holiday, I like to take some time to visit an Internet cafe, to check up on my sites and emails etc. People do use Internet cafes when on holiday, I don't know if it's enough to make the business viable, but people do use them in holiday / tourist locations.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree. WIFIs mostly are free on hotels and restaurants since you are a paying customer and this is only an add-on service.

Well, if you live near the beach, it's just normal on you since you live there.
    It's different for people that are only having a vacation.

Same here but if it's a vacation, I want to spend quality time with my family or friends.

4. JuicyCafe

JuicyCafe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It doesn't make your business viable even if your internet cafe will be FULL during holidays but that's only my opinion because I don't know how much is the rent per computer in the other country. And I live in the Philippines and our rate per computer here in our area is for as low as Php10 which is equivalent only to US $0.35 cents or something like that! I know how to run an Internet cafe business because I have a passion to it. Have been done a lots of seminars about it and got a lot of friends with a established business like this. But still I don't have the money yet to start it. Running this kind of business needs a knowledge about computers (hardwares, troubleshooting etc.) Plus you must have a patient to run it.

5. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that's a very great tip!

6. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

where in the Philippines are you?
    i've stayed in manila for 8 years since college but never have i seen a peso-peso computer cafe.

peso peso computer - is a technology here in cebu where one will just have to drop peso coin and he could surf the net for 3minutes. once time is over, its also his time to stop. but of course he could drop another peso to extend. the computer needs about 5 minutes to automatically shutdown if the machine is not busy. pretty convenient for computer cafe owners. :D

we can provide you the software for this technology if you'd like to. this business will be great if you put your computers in a crowded place or about 50 meters away from elementary school :D

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't really like the Peso-Peso computer rental service. Why?
    It's really a big bother to put 1 Peso after another after a couple of minutes.

In a computer cafe near us, they use a Cafe Software wherein the time and rate is displayed on your screen. If the rate is 20 Pesos per hour, the computer will be open for use for an hour and after that time, the computer will have a black screen. It will not shutdown like the one you have. The control of your time is mainly on the server. If you want to extend another hour, he will put another hour on your computer so you can use it again.

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

this is completely different, if it happens that theres a power shutdown, a user could just wait till the power is back and his on the go once again. time left will still be the time before the improper shutdown of the pc.:D

9. JuicyCafe

JuicyCafe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just somewhere in Mindanao area.. Sorry if you misunderstood my post. What I mean is per hour rate which is only Php10 here. About peso-peso, I have seen many of these also here but not in a computer shop. mostly in the gaming shop which is very convenient and good for gaming. I didn't recommend that thing to internet cafe owners.

10. dexterallen01

dexterallen01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ya its great idea before start the business just take care that you open your cafe at near the good residencial area where people like to visit the computer cafe. The school and collage palce is best for the computer cafe.

11. IM Shane

IM Shane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Computer cafe is safe & good business. I am also want to start this business in future.

12. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

More and more people are using computers. It is a growing area. Young people are being brought up using computers in schools or at home doing homework, research or social networking. More and more jobs involve using computers. People are now alot less afraid of computers. My dad for example used to hate computers but having to work using one he got used to it and doesn't avoid using them and actually enjoys using them. The increase of usage of sites like Twitter, Facebook and Myspace means more and more people want to check the internet. With people less afraid of computers and more people having things online that they want to check up on, the demand is there and growing.

Location is important but i think the sooner you get yourself out there the better as no doubt soon alot of people will catch on and the market will be saturated and it will be hard to establish yourself and separate yourself from the others that have been around longer.

That is my opinion on the idea anyway.

13. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes or no. You actually need to do some research to understand the market demand before you go for the business. Different country / places might make the different result.

According to my observation from some other countries and found some of them still have big demand, quite number of them are always full. On the other hand, some country is too common on internet, everyway can get wifi and most of the people are using their own laptop. Therefore, the internet cafe has less demand.