I heard it takes 10,000 hrs to master your craft. Is it true?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Ramkumar, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Ramkumar

Ramkumar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hard work and practice pays at the end. I heard many people say that it takes 10,000 hrs to master your craft. You become so perfect in it and that you gain recognition automatically. Have you experienced this anytime. Please let me know.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is the time spent learning the craft in the first place included in the 10,000 hours? Either way, if it takes 10,000 hours, it isn't happening automatically. I've seen a lot of posts where that word is used, and it makes me wonder if the people who use it that way know what the word "automatically" actually means.
    Getting back to the subject of your post, I wonder whether the "10,000 hours" is meant to be taken literally, or if it just means that it takes a long time. In any case, even someone who "masters" knows that learning never stops. There are advances in technology and/or processes that need to be learned, even by a "master", in order to stay at the top of whatever their craft happens to be.

3. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I actually haven't heard anything like this before but it could be true. In my opinion 10,000 hours should be enough to master most of the things for a human-being

4. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I'm an expert at sitting on the sofa drinking beer and watching dumb TV. It has taken me years to perfect the correct slumped posture without spilling my beer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

WOW, what a thing to master :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, he must have been doing it wrong for a long time, if it actually took years. One year is actually 8,760 hours, using a 24 hour day. Of course, you do have to consider sleep for about 8 hours a day, which would leave only 16 hours per day, making it a year and 9 months. Then, there are five work days in a week, and eight hours in a work day. That leaves only 8 hours a day Monday through Friday, and 16 hours only on Saturday and Sunday. That makes 72 hours a week available, which would mean it could be mastered in about 139 weeks, a little over 2 1/2 years.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I began to drink craft beer which is better consumed from a glass rather than out a bottle. This required a change in posture meaning I had to relearn my couch potato methods.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Salifu

Salifu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is true but it is also true that you need 20 hours to be good at things you learn according Josh Kaufman(you can check him on tedtalk or youtube). To explain this in a simple way, practice makes perfect but smart practice accelerate your fluency in any skill you are involved in.

9. Brad Young

Brad Young
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As I understand it, Malcolm Gladwell’s 10,000 hour rule isn’t a recipe for success or for automatic recognition: it’s pointing out that the top performers in life tend to be those who practiced – and pushed themselves with each practice – for 10,000 hours. Practice isn’t a substitute for natural ability but the people who keep practicing and pushing themselves are the ones who will master their talent.

Despite the bait headline, this article is a solid summary for the arguments around this theory: http://businessinsider.com/expert-rule-10000-hours-not-true-2017-8

10. Carly Swinson

Carly Swinson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it depends on the skill and interest. You will learn quicker and master a craft easily if you have interest and skill in that field.