How to use Google Tag Manager?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Eleena, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Eleena

Eleena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have just heard about Google Tag manager but not used it yet. How should I start using Google tag manager and for which purpose most of the people are using it?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Tag Manager is used to keeop track of tags used for a wide variety of tracking and analytics purposes. For example, they can be used to track the number of times a visitor visits a certain page, how many items a visitor buys(and the value of those items), Adwords conversions, even tracking items for Google analytics(too many to list here). More information can be found in Google Tag Manager Help.

3. salenaadam

salenaadam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that tag is just a snippet of code. You can add this snippet of code (or tag) directly to your website, by copying-pasting it, in your website template files (like header.php) or you can add the tag indirectly on your website, via Google Tag Manager (GTM).

4. rwong

rwong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The main function of Google Tag Manager(GTM) is to manage the delivery of javascript codes to your website on the browser side.
    Also, it provides guided assistance through GTM's user portal to create some of the popular tracking javascript codes such as Google Analytics, Adwords Conversion Tracking, and Optimizely, Hotjar, Twitter, etc.

Without GTM, normally you copy the tracking code (also called a "Tag") from Facebook, Google Analytic, etc, customise the script if needed and paste it on a web page by hand. As time goes by, you will have more and more different tags on various pages. Very difficult to manage.

With GTM, all the tracking code will be centralised in one place and also allow you to create very complicated rules when (triggers) to send the tracking code such as "only send this piece of code(tag) after someone signup my newsletter on this page".

Another advantage of using GTM is that you can allow 3rd party to set up tracking scripts(tags) for you without having to access your website server or access to your wordpress. My personal experience with GTM is I can do 99% of tracking script implementation through GTM.

5. Tedel

Tedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't use it much. If a visitor uses an ad blocker, Google's Tag Manager code will get blocked, and your site may stop working properly. Proceed with caution.