How to improve my English communication and written skills?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by shrikantha, Jul 31, 2017.

1. shrikantha

shrikantha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I'm not that much good in English. Please tell me what are the best ways to improve my communication and writing skills as I want to write some comprehensive stories.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are a variety of ways to improve your English communication skills, depending on where you are located, and whether you want paid methods or do it yourself. One paid way is to actually take a class. In some places here in the US, we have what are called ESL classes. ESL stands for "English as a Second Language". Another option is to purchase a book on English and try to teach yourself. You could then purchase books, newspapers, and/or magazines written in English to practice. If they are available, watch programs on English language TV stations. The reason I advise you to buy a book on English first is because books, magazines, and newspapers written in English sometimes use slang or take shortcuts that would not be appropriate in some situations, and you need to start with the proper foundation first. Also, people on TV shows don't always speak in ways that would be appropriate in the real world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. ScottAdlhoch

ScottAdlhoch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the best way to learn english is, start watching english movies with english subtitle. This will help you to learn english and will improve you communication skills...

4. Indesh Aryan

Indesh Aryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am also not good in English. I am also trying to improve English with the help of following:
    1. Use of Internet,
    2. Google Translate and
    3. Support of the forum members.
    You need to write down every new sentence formation/structure and try to create new similar sentence with different words.
    Learn every new word you find. Try to use it more in sentences until you get habitual to it. I hope it will improve your communication and written skills.

5. Keity

Keity
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lots of ways to improve your English now a days. The most and legitimate method from home to join different groups. Communicate with the with proper English and Grammar. But the most effective way is to make a friend and try to community all the time using English. This will improve your self efficiency.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am reminded of the old expression, "Physician, heal thyself". Here is what the above post should have said, using, as the writer suggested, proper English and grammar:

"There are lots of ways to improve your English. The best way to do this from home is to join different groups. Communicate with the proper English and grammar. But the most effective way is to make a friend who is fluent in English and try to communicate in English all the time. This will improve your efficiency."

Having said that, Keity, I know you meant well, and thank you for trying to help.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. michael8

michael8
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am also learning English. Thanks for your advice!

8. Keity

Keity
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Encouraging! Thank you.

9. Smith-K

Smith-K
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You could try watching Youtube videos as there are loads of Youtube channels based around english learning and stuff. You would first need to clear your concepts surrounding grammar. Best bet is to attend local english classes as you get to clear your doubts there in itself.

10. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Practice is the KEY. You may ask your friends to talk to you in English and also do some writing work for blogs. There are many blogs who are looking for writers and since your goal is to improve your writing skills and not to earn, you will find plenty or blog owners interested in your content.

11. snowfallingdown

snowfallingdown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it really comes down to watching things that you actually enjoy. For example, I might watch movies in Spanish, listen to Spanish podcasts, watch basketball with Spanish commentary, etc. If you like to watch it and love the language, you should keep that joy.

12. Andynguyen

Andynguyen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not a native English speaker either and I want to improve my Vocabulary. Anyone has any recommendations for good vocab books? I prefer advanced or academic ones because I'm planning on taking an IELTS exam next year.