How is forum running business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by aprilsagar, Feb 21, 2008.

1. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Starting a Forum and building 1000 active members will take time depending on your Forum Quality. Advertisements, Forum Offers, Interesting Contents will help to build your Forum in a specific time period. Better Contents and Rewards can be much more helpful.

2. archgames

archgames
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Starting Contests for posting or something would attract posters than pay per post

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The $50 weekly contest is still on. See this thread. Aside from this contest, what other ways do you think will motivate others from joining and being active in Business Advice Forum? In the meantime, I'll also ponder on how to answer this question.

4. maroo2007

maroo2007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i'm not a fourm owner or even admin but i saw many forums online and how they stand fergal is right you can't predict how long it will take to reach 1,000 members but you can of course work for it
    the most important in my opinion to keep active with your foeum members even they reach 1,000 just benig there and involving with them keep member loyalty to the forum

5. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I am a member of a forum that has been around for well over 10 years, and has yet to reach 500 members. We have a core group that number around 30 or 40 that is a pretty solid group, considering most of us have never met.

6. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let me see.... how about if we take apart the name of the Forum?

Business
    Yeah, that's our topic. People who are interested in business might end up here, even without a contest.

Advice
    Cool, I can get some knowledge here. No need for a contest.

Forum
    I can exchange information here. I can make new contacts. All for free.

The name of the forum describes perfectly what I can get here. Popular forums attract people, because
    (1) There are other like-minded and successful people. Success attracts success.
    (2) High quality content
    (3) You get serious input on difficult questions
    (4) It's a fun place with great people

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would guess that the first thing we need to build up on then is content. At the same time promoting the Business Advice Forum in other forums as well. With that, hopefully the community will slowly grow from there. I've been promoting this in the Hostbidder forums as well, but unfortunately, no luck there.

8. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Selectively cruise the net, looking for similar, but not identical, forums and blogs to post the link to this site at. Not too close, or it may well get deleted for trying to steal members.

9. Footzilla

Footzilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well the first impression counts. The only thing the person first looks at is the forum quality. Quality meaning not the posts but the look of the forum. First this forum's theme should be changed as it's too boring type and common. Quality of the posts comes after because new members only look at the appearance of the forum first. If the look is not good, then the new member doesn't post and leaves the forum. If we are going to call new members to the forum, they won't post because the theme is 'disgusting'. So my advice is that promote the forum when the look of the forum is good enough.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you mind sharing what the topic of the forum is?

11. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From my part, Forum doesn't exactly runs Business, but however you can use Forum to run your business that you've or you want to start with. A good marketing is a first and better concept to attract thousands of visitors. Interesting contents would be rather helpful to make them stick on your Forum net. Holding competition for money or prizes of Website Domains, etc would run your Forum. But a Good concept is to think in which category you're making your Forum like Business Advice, Earn Money through Home, Online Education etc and so on. A good concept wins good hits and ranks.

12. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Not really Fergal, my apologies.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No problem at all, I understand the importance of confidentiality.

14. ritajones56

ritajones56
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think a forum is good for being you're primary source of marketing and generating revenue for your business, but it definitely can be a good add-on to an already strong Web site and it is another way to get the word out about your business.

15. moromendas01

moromendas01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is sure not a quick way to make money online. My experience has been that other types of websites are a quicker route to online income.

16. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We have been working on our forum, www.productforum.info, for just over a month now - we started January 10th.

I have to agree with all the comments about it not being a get rich quick scheme, we never intended on starting it simply to make money.

We do have one or two advertisements but it is unlikely at this stage in our development that they would even cover the costs of domain registration and hosting.

As far as getting the membership up to 1000 members goes, we are at 132 members with around 5 or so of them being regular, and we think of that as a success. It takes a huge amount of time and commitment trying to promote and increase awareness of your forum, Facebook, Twitter and You Tube have proved useful for us. Also using promotion sites like www.forumpromotion.net has proved really useful.

We have advertised on here and are als looking for good value paid advertising on other sites, but it's not easy.

In summary, it really is a marathon and not a sprint. Good luck.

P.S - www.technologyBB.com doesn't appear to work?

17. KateB

KateB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree...if you want to make quick money you might as well try SEO..but even that is not an immediate process and would take a few months atleast.......

18. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Forum running business is very good, provided your forum is popular, and active with lots of members.

But to reach that level you never know what time it will take.

To established a forum is difficult job, it take time, energy and money.

G!