How helpful is social media for business?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by marcus47, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Asher ross

Asher ross
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Social Media which was used by businesses primarily for grabbing attention and branding is increasingly being used for lead generation. If utilized properly, social media can transform the way leads were generated previously. While sharing on social media, you need to keep in mind that the message that you use must be able to compel the target audience and this can be done by using visuals that are eye catching.

2. sofia

sofia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As we all discussed social media is the main tool for business development. I tried it for my business too. But how to create groups in facebook, LinkedIn and Twiiter. I feel it involves different techniques. Can anyone help me by giving adequate information to create groups and how to develop business step by step process.

3. campbelljof

campbelljof
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I think there is no need to more explanation, how social media have become a powerful tool for business. That's why most business owners explore social media to effectively convey their brand message to their target audiences.
    There are some great tips that can make your idea clear why a business need social media for promote their brand.
    1. Find Your Target Audience - People use different social media platforms as per their interests. For example, professionals generally use LinkedIn. Businesses in fashion industry like to use Instagram and Pinterest to reach to consumers. Twitter and Facebook are common social channels that most of the businesses explore. So, it is essential to first analyze your target audience and where they are likely to hang out.
    2. Post Content Frequently - Social media users have a very short attention span as they are overloaded with information all the time. Marketingdonut suggests that it’s well worth spending time analyzing who you need to connect with and engage on social media.
    3. Promote Your Business– Self-promotion is essential to survive in the highly competitive market. Your e-commerce store should stride hard and compete to grab customers’ attention.

4. rajesh chowringhee

rajesh chowringhee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social media is helpful in increasing fan followers and company reputation And it is also helpful in website visibility because a millions of people updated on their profile that is main reason of popularity so i suggest everyone for coming on social site.

5. Nimit.Suri

Nimit.Suri
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social media is an very important part of your business.No matter what kind of business you run or what services you provide.If you want to generate leads or develop online presence social media marketing is a must.
    Facebook,twitter and LinkedIn are strong mediums from where your business will get promoted to the end user.Instagram is gaining popularity too as a social media tool.
    Facebook is helpful sharing your new updates with your target audience
    LinkedIn for building up your profile and making new connections with your niche related company
    Twitter for gaining user engagement with your website or post
    At the end of the day social media is the backbone for thriving industries

6. sameera

sameera
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social media can be a best way for you to generate leads. All you need to define is if social media is a best place to invest in lead generation or not(here I am talking in concern to your business) or is there other channel other than social media that can do well in terms of leads for you. If you are sure about social media then here are the things you must do in social media channels:

Firstly, optimize your social media channels by filling out all the necessary information. Start posting useful and interesting information in all your profiles.
    Use attractive graphics to sell your services over social media. Add tags in images wherever possible.
    Join groups in Facebook related to your industry, interact with industry experts on Twitter via Twitter chats.
    Become an expert in some active communities by sharing your knowledge

7. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Nope. It's a poor way to generate leads. There are exceptions but self-promotion on any SM channels will get very few good leads.

Advertising on SM can work but even then you need the right niche and the right products or services. For example, adverts for women's fashion accessories can work well on targeted groups. But if you are a window cleaner it's unlikely you will get much traction.

Marketeers will tell you SM is essential for build a business but they are wrong. SM can inform existing followers of new products but most of your promotional material will get missed or ignored because of the huge mass of companies all doing the same.

Do a bit of research and you will find the results of all sort of tests which show how ineffective SM promotion actually is.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sameera

sameera
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Def
    Definitely you need the right niche as mentioned by me in my previous reply. Advertising on social media can only be successful when you know where your target audience is and how you are going to sell your services/products

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. sameera

sameera
    uix_expand uix_collapse

C

Can you please show some reports?

10. Ben Wood

Ben Wood
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social media is best and genuine way to promote any business online. Thats is very fast trick for improve any business in social media. Its good way to get best consumer for your business.

11. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

You need to look beyond the marketing hype. This is what you normally get: http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/7832-social-media-for-business.html. It's meaninless an unsubstantiated waffle. This sort of thing is more useful: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/social-media-can-destroy/

The main reason why SM doesn't help is because everybody is doing it. Facebook and twitter and other feeds are inundated with promotional posts. Endless messages from sites you have liked, adverts and sharing of material you aren't ever going to use. The end result is a lot of skimming down a newsfeed.

I've just looked a my wife's FB feed. In 100 posts there were 15 adverts, 27 marketing posts for things she doesn't want, 22 shares of products we already have a 36 real posts from friends. 65% of the posts were marketing. Which means anything you post is going to get ignored.

There are some success stories but most fail. If you want to market your business, SM is not the right way to go.

Which means @Ben Wood, it may be a fast trick but it doesn't work

#31 fisicx, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  12. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In both cases, you're seeing only one side of the issue. In the case of the Kissmetrics article, I didn't even make it halfway through the list. I don't think it's helpful to list every mistake that was ever made as if every person on every site will make the same mistake. A more balanced view of both sides of the issue would be much more helpful

13. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

The problem, Joseph, is there isn't a balanced view.

If you were a butcher you could use Facebook to tell existing followers about special offers or new products. This would work locally for the specific niche (existing customers). But if a customer shared the sausage offer with their Facebook friends it wouldn't work - because most of the friends will not be local and can't buy the sausages. SM works in a niche. It doesn't work a general marketing medium.

If you wanted to buy a new washing machine you may do all sorts of research but I doubt you would logon to facebook and look for machines. Or would you go to twitter and search for washing machines? You might ask your friends and followers for recomendations as that is exactly what SM is for. What you won't do is scroll down your newsfeed looting for washing machine adverts.

If you have a niche product or service you can use SM to tell existing followers about things. That's a good use of SM but it's still less effective than advertising and email marketing.

If you have a general product your promotion on SM channels will just get lost amongst all the other noise.

If you want to grow your business SM doesn't work. A good friend was the marketing manager for a major international brand. They had over 3 million followers on Facebook. That could not attribute one single new lead to any of those followers. All those followers where going to buy the products anyway. Everyone else discovered the products via other media (mainly adverts). They may become followers, but only after they have become customers.

14. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Now suppose all the other local butchers set up their own facebook pages and start promoting their products. They will get followed by their customers. All well and good.

But to build their businesses they need to reach out to new customers so they begin advertising. Their targets will be people who buy from butchers. Which means prospects will be inundated with adverts for pork chops.

Very few of the articles promoting SMM can point to examples of success. Those that do almost always point to niche campaigns.

15. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These are definitely the wrong way to use Facebook. Even followers do not want a business to inundate them with ads, and may even stop doing business with the company, and unfriend them. if they do. As any business owner knows, it's harder to regain a former customer than it is to gain a new one. On the other hand, if a butcher occasionally shares a recipe with his followers, or an article about, for example, "How To Choose The Proper Knife", he is presenting himself as an expert. Some of his followers may share the article with their followers, which introduces him to more people who may choose to buy meat from him. The butcher may also, again, occasionally, give his followers a special discount. The purpose of any SM website is not to inundate your followers with ads, but to teach them, and to present yourself as an expert in your, yes, niche. Except for buying actual ads on an SM website, advertising is not the main purpose of an SM account. Used properly, it can increase your business.

16. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

But an occasional post will just get missed amongst everything else in the newsfeed. An article on how to use a knife will just get scrolled past.

An email with a offer of 25% off a joint of beef however will get a much better response.

An SM feed is not about demonstrating expertise. An SM feed is about social interactions.

I do get what you are saying, but the overwhelming evidence shows that using SM for marketing is ineffective. There are plenty of reports showing this. I'd provide the evidence but I pay a lot of money for these reports and would prefer not to make them public.

17. sameera

sameera
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But, if we see the other side, it is also creating awareness about your brand on social media. As you said, that sausage offer will not entertain Facebook friends as most of the friends will not be local, but if you see the positive side of this, it will create an impression in users' mind about the business.
    It is necessary every time to target social media for promoting your services and expecting leads. It is more in creating awareness about your brand.

18. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have done heavy Facebook marketing. I do Income taxes for locals. I share posts from my Facebook Business page to local groups. I share funny images and craft ideas for kids. People on Facebook could care less about Income tax code. I am not seeing the results I had hoped. My town is only fifteen thousand. I wonder if I should have offered a coupon.

19. Lily Alvin

Lily Alvin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social Media is very helpful in any of the business provided that you are using it to your advantage. And for this you have to spend a little budget on it. Advertise on Facebook and also don't forget to use Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn.

20. jrishi110

jrishi110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

social networking sites like facebook, twitter and linkedin not only increases the popularity and visibility of your website but also causes huge traffic to your website if we regularly update content like text, videos and images which can attract the people. Some of the advantages of SMO includes-

- Helps you in gaining a good social media reputation
    - Exposes your content across a wide audience
    - Helps you with quick indexing
    - Brings you more traffic
    - Gets you the benefit of backlinks (if do-follow)