How have you started an effective email list?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Lydia, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Lydia

Lydia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Recently I've created beautiful handmade products to sell, and I'd love to get a mailing list going. I understand that it's so important to have one...and yet, I don't know where to start. I'm afraid I may eventually run out of ideas and not keep the momentum going, or that I won't know how to sell without seeming pushy. I'm marketing to ladies between the ages of 16 - 34, who love detailed handmade crafts. What have you done to get your email list started - how did you get your first subscribers, and how did you come up with ideas and fuel for the newsletters to keep them interesting?

2. DZiegler

DZiegler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You've got 2 questions here: email marketing and content. The content angle is enough for a whole thread, so I'm going to suggest you ask that as a separate question.

On to email marketing. Starting out is the hardest, I think. You can buy or rent email lists but this is generally a bad practice and can ruin your reputation. Check out this article for more details: https://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid...chasing-email-lists-is-always-a-bad-idea.aspx. The key to successful email marketing is great content, keep it engaging, useful and fun. Other ways to grow your email list include encouraging your current subscribers to share and forward your content. Or create multiple subscription types and provide more targeted content to each list. You can promote an online contest.

Networking can be a great start. If you attend any local shows or display your products have an email signup sheet available. Network with other vendors to help spread the word about your products, and you can reciprocate for them. On your website include an email signup form and provide those who complete it with a promotion like a coupon or special newsletter edition. When you have names without email addresses use a contact service such as Lusha to complete their information. And remember to maintain your list to weed out invalid addresses as time goes on.

#2 DZiegler, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017