How do you define Success?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, May 5, 2008.

1. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Always satisfaction doesn't describe happiness, when you're satisfied with your small profitable life then that doesn't mean success to everybody. For everybody success, they need happiness in the way they want.

Yes, they're not happy. Some successful often think of better success then what they've achieved. And many people are happy for their successful life they've achieved.

#21 DEADMAN, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When looking at other people we need to be careful as to what we consider to be successful. Someone might appear to be rich and successful. But you may not know their full financial situation. For example, they may have huge borrowings that they are worried about and they may not view themselves as being successful because of this.

Someone else might be living a much simpler life, but without having any debts and living within their means. The person with the simple life may view themselves as being very successful.

3. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Success differs from people to people, mind to mind. And Fergal you're exactly correct. For some people, they earn alot but they're not mentally happy. And this will tend them to realize even they earn alot they're not successful in the way they wanted to. Like Divorce with wife, children loss etc. So Success is defined as you're happy with what you've.

4. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal. Some people may be rich but it may be due to the borrowings they take but they aren't able to pay it and take tension of it. Being Rich is not being successful. Sucessful is something. You may consider it as building your career, living a happy life, earn your living.

Apart from this, Being successful means gaining something. It's like achieving your goals/aims. What if you don't reach to your goal? Will you yourself call successful? For example: A boy likes 2 games : cricket and football. He wanted to be best cricketer but he fails to be that but he doesn't give up, he goes for football. He becomes a great footballer. And he become successful to be a footballer.

If you want to be successful, you should never give up.

#24 TimeRider, May 23, 2008
    Last edited: May 23, 2008
  5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you hear the word dissatisfaction, more often than not, you'll think that this is very negative. Maybe, in a way, it is but that's not often the case. Sometimes it can be used in a positive way in achieving success. Take the example of the footballer or cricketer in devilbatista's example, they are also dissatisfied with their current level of skill in football or cricket and wants to become the best. In my case too, I am dissatisfied that I'm a little overweight so I'm now doing my best to shed a few pounds. :)

Just imagine if everyone were all satisfied with just walking. If this is the case, no one would have invented bicycles, cars and escalators.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is it possible to be satisfied and happy with what we have and at the same time work and strive to improve?

7. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe being satisfied with what you have is the best way to move and continue your life. If you have dissatisfaction, you can't be happy. Patience and Satisfaction is the best way to keep yourself moving and you should never give up. If you fail at something and if you feel dissatisfaction, that doesn't mean that you are unsuccessful, you should try again properly and while doing anything you should research and think properly and only do the things.

If you give up then it's being unsuccessful. So, you should never give up. Life is full of ups and downs. They are part of life. So, you have to be satified and happy with have and go on working. Work should never be stopped until you retired. You should always try to improve.

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do firmly believe that dissatisfaction, if used in a positive way, will motivate us to work hard and strive to improve. It doesn't mean that just because your dissatisfied that you're not happy though. You can be dissatisfied and happy at the same time. I don't think that you'll strive to improve yourself if you're already satisfied with your current state. Anyway, that's what I believe.

9. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nazreen, do you think anyone can be happy if he gets disatisfied. I believe he/she must be out of mind if he becomes happy when he becomes dissatisfied. Being satisfied with what you have is another thing but what if you do something and that fails and you become dissatisfied and happy at the same time? He can be satisfied and happy at the same time.

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let's take the example of elite athletes. They always compete with other top athletes so they should be in top form and must keep improving their game. They're already happy with their current level of skill but they're still dissatisfied and still want to improve so that they'll be able to claim the top spot in their particular sport.

11. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can you prove that they are happy with their skill. I might consider they might be happy because they took part in the race.

They might not be dissatisfied when they are happy with their skills. But they do will want to improve themselves and win next time.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nazreen, are you saying that a person can be dissatisfied with their performance in one particular event or activity but still be a happy person overall? Sounds like a good point to me, thanks for the clarification.

13. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Success for me means being happy myself as well as getting a smile on others face. Really, when you'll see all the poverty, hunger, starvation situation spread around the world, you can't help yourself feeling bad.

As for business, Success is what you defining goals, putting a time frame and acheiving those goals within that time frame. If you fail to do so, there's some cliche in your efforts. Success may mean earning tons of money, name and fame for some. But realizing what is meant by true success is in itself a big success in my view.

14. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We must remember that happiness is not synonymous to satisfaction just like sadness is not synonymous to crying. A person can cry too because he or she is happy. In the same way, an athlete who just lost an important game might be dissatisfied with his performance and level of skill but still happy at the same time that he or she did his best. Anyway, we can discuss and debate this all you like devilbatista but that's not what's really important.

Dissatisfaction and other negative emotions like anger are by themselves not good. If we just remain dissatisfied without doing anything about it, then we just end up miserable. So the important thing is transforming our dissatisfaction into something positive and therefore improving ourselves and/or our business.

Swastik, I'm impressed. Putting a smile on others' faces is a very noble goal/mission.

15. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm going to keep a short answer by now.

Success differs from every person's view. Yes, people take part in athletic, they may be sad they lost the game they wanted to win and they may be happy that they tried their best. Some people don't want to be happy anymore because their intention was to only win.

So, Success is definated to overcome yourself and make yourself happy by any measure even by losing or winning. Even you lose too, you're happy than you tried your best. And if you win, you're happy to get victory, that's all.

• Like Like x 1
  16. greybell

greybell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Success is a relative term.
    Success to me is to have short term goals, to plan towards it and to achieve it systematically.

There is no point in just dreaming big. we need to have short term goals to achieve it.

For example: I want to serve the poor. Now, that's a big statement! As a short term goal: 1)contact friends with similar ideas 2)visit orphanages/old age homes near your house and lend a ear...find their needs 3)collect finance, clothes or whatever their needs were 4) plan a day out when all your friends are free and visit the poor.

17. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is an interesting point that you've made greybell - making use of short term goals to achieve your big dreams. I'd just like to point, however, that we mustn't forget our original goal. So many times have we seen public servants like the police officers who by doing their daily duties, going undercover, and stuff, have gone bad because they have lost sight of their original goals, which is to protect and to serve.

18. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Success for me is supporting my family in their financial and health problems. Success is living a life I wanted. Success is being to do what you like to do in any place and any time. It is helping those people who needs your help.