How Do I Lay-Off A Part-Time Employee / Health Safety Concerns?

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by UnchartedK, Apr 17, 2019.

1. UnchartedK

UnchartedK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My part-time employee does good work, but I want to scale-back my small craft business because I realize I just prefer to work alone.

We also work with art supplies (very safe to work with when wearing a respirator mask) which she's recently expressed a sensitivity to. I've explained that if she feels unsafe I don't feel comfortable having her do the work, but she insists she's fine. I know she needs the income, but I'm not OK having her work for me if her health and safety are at risk. This, on top of not needing her help anymore, I feel its necessary to let her go ...

It's also a bit tricky since she's become somewhat of a friend. She's also very sensitive/emotional and cries anytime there's conflict. Regardless, I know things need to change.

What is the legal way to go about doing this? She's not bound by contract. She's working another part-time job elsewhere. Should I offer her severance? Thanks for any advice!

2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Where are you?

Different countries have different regulations.

For example, in the UK if they have been employed less than two years you can just tell them their services are no longer required and give then notice.

Separate business from friendship. The two don't mix.

• Like Like x 1
  3. UnchartedK

UnchartedK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your reply. I'm in New York.

4. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Then you really need to ask on a local employment forum as they will be better versed in the legal implications.

5. VITS USA

VITS USA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is the age of that person? Firstly you should know about labor act and their terms and conditions and in business you will have to think professionally because according to research most of the business partnership break due to relations.