How can I raise the productivity of my employees?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Tonny Fer, Jul 23, 2010.

1. BacklinksInc

BacklinksInc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Get rid of people that bring the moral down first of all. Then with them out of the way its easy to encourage the rest of the staff. Also holding contests,drawings and basically spreading the money around. is one of the oldest ways to keep the moral up lol :)

2. jhcorcoran

jhcorcoran
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you read Dan Pink's Drive? Excellent study on what motivates workers -- it's all about (1) autonomy, (2) mastery, and (3) purpose. I highly recommend it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Our company made a regulation a month ago, and I would like to share it with you guys. Our company made some investigations on all departments on why a certain work took all day long to finish/submit. They also found out that others are idling, surfing the internet, playing online games, lingering on social networking sites. That's why they study on the ETA (Estimated Time of Accomplishment) of every task/job in the company and some took five to six hours. They also removed the Overtime pay for those who will extend beyond office hours. Unless, the company will order you to do so, you'll get paid. Employees should submit all the reports on a given time with specific details like its ETA, Actual time spent, distribution of tasks, and what did you do if you have spare times.

Now, those regulations and policies makes my fellow employees to keep working and busy during office hours.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pawee

pawee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Set up a goal for your employees that they needed to reach each quarter. Monitor them for several days and know each of their basic day to day task. Have them report to their managers every once in awhile or maybe once a week, it’ll help you sort out the work they can be given to maximize their time and skills.

5. danemedel

danemedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have them stop using Facebook during working hours :D, yeah let's admit there are employees who spend more time in their social media accounts rather that on their real work.

6. MoneyTrack

MoneyTrack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do the best you can to always keep them occupied. Always have something for them to do when they may say they have nothing to do. This could be coming up with something new that your company could be doing. Another thing that you could do is tie their compensation to the work that gets done. This is why so many commission employees are hard working. Have you talked to them about it? I think an open line of communication is essential for employer/employee relations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nancy Olson

Nancy Olson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

your company must set some targets which your employees must have to achieve within the defined time period. Those who achieve their targets should be rewarded and if anyone fails to achieve the target he/she should be fined. Install any time tracking device in their systems which track the time when they are working.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It looks like you are having difficulties with managing your own company and supervising your employees. I think you really have to set much stricter rules and give your employees deadlines to meet. Before the working day is done, ask them what they have accomplished so far. I guess that would make them step up a notch.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am in an executive position with several units under me staffed with more than 50 people. Communication is the first and foremost when it comes to productivity. When the manager is "connected" to the subordinates, miscommunication and miscoordination is minimized. It's always teamwork in play and teamwork needs cooperation and you can only get cooperation with good communications. Now, in raising the productivity, motivation by incentives is one way that I can think of now.

10. Gerry Speck

Gerry Speck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everyone wants that we have to improve employee productivity for business growth, But no one is taking actions on how to do.

Here are some activities which helps your employees motivation as well as productivity.

1. Provide support for employees
    2. Proper management at all levels in an organization
    3. Proper communication between employee and management.
    4. Respect your employees
    5. If someone is doing really great job for your organization, appreciate his work by arranging meeting etc.
    6. Also, incentives will helps employee to increase productivity because they also wanted to get something anout their hard work or extra time other than salary.

11. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Clear communication is key. When people don't know what's needed and wanted or where they stand, the team isn't very strong and people can't contribute. You don't need to coddle people, but they do need to know where the group is headed and how to do their jobs. If they don't know, they can't do. Other than that, consistency and fairness keeps people from being pulled into non-productive situations.

12. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well that's a good question, i am glad you are sharing your experienced. i think you should spend some time with your employ all day, checkout what they do all day, how they work. then consult your employ one by one and take his/her feedback. then think about new plan of action about what your employees should do for productivity for your business. Hope it will help you out!!

13. loyaanderson

loyaanderson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Timely scheduling employee work is a key factor, tracking the time spent on the work with effective tools with supervision, time management software tools like tracking the time can also be beneficial. Software companies like Apptivo & Salesforce has things tool. Track the time spent create invoice based on it.

14. Raj

Raj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Few suggestions:

1. Chunk down the long working hours with breaks.
    2. Mentoring
    3. Weekly discussions and road maps to goals
    4. Conduct contests

15. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It happens in most companies I guess. Most employers think that their employees waste too much time and this is why he is not getting more revenue. Well I guess it is a responsibility of the employer as well to give his employees the freedom to do certain things and make their working hours as much enjoyable as possible. Too much restriction tend to backfire and employees in such situations often try to find ways to spend their working hours in some other activities in office which have nothing to do with Company's interest.

16. anna c

anna c
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. Openly communicate the business goals and vision to the team. This simple act can make someone feel like whatever their role is in the company is part of the bigger picture.
    2. Practice meritocracy. Compliment and reward those who are performing well and recognize even the small wins of the day.
    3. Allow short breaks in between the work day other than the mandatory lunch break.
    4. Ask managers or supervisors to monitor performance of the team and mentor those who are falling behind.
    5. Have each employee record the tasks they have accomplished within the day. If possible, without requiring them to log-in the hours per task as this can appear as micromanaging.
    6. Have a non-work related gathering every once in a while be it an out-of-town trip or just a simple get-together for dinner where work cannot be discussed.
    7. Provide them with the tools to become more productive. Are their computers slow? Do they need a training? A refresher course?

Hope these simple tips help.

17. hanerykroze

hanerykroze
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Promotional Links are not allowed in normal forum posts. This post has been edited to remove a promotional link.
    There are some points to increase the productivity of your employees:
    1. Create friendly and family like atmosphere.
    2. Celebrate small achievements of employees.
    3. Know your employees background.
    4. Motivation is the key point.
    5.Communicate effectively and efficiently.
    6. HR should contact to every employ to know their problems.

18. billythronton467

billythronton467
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Tony, Share the profit and loss of the individuals work with each of them, this can help to know realize the situation, Also you can use time tracker tool to improve the productivity of individuals.

19. CorporateViking

CorporateViking
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I'm a firm believer of using analytics to determine what your employee's are missing and filling the slot to show you're invested in the betterment of their existence both in environment at work and at home.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs was created for just such a purpose and after speaking to a Commander at the local 911 Call Center, arguably one of the most negative demotivated environments in America, we were able to improve efficiency and make people think less about suicide and more about how they could give more to the company. (This is a huge triumph).

The idea is very simple and I will copy and paste some information here and provide sources bellow. There are 5 sections of needs. Imagine them as buckets that are empty and that depending on how full they are, that need is better satisfied. These buckets are numbered bellow in order of most important to least important for your happiness.

The original hierarchy of needs five-stage model includes:

1. Biological and Physiological needs - air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep.

2. Safety needs - protection from elements, security, order, law, stability, freedom from fear.

3. Love and belongingness needs - friendship, intimacy, affection and love, - from work group, family, friends, romantic relationships.

4. Esteem needs - achievement, mastery, independence, status, dominance, prestige, self-respect, respect from others.

5. Self-Actualization needs - realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences.

I took these core concepts to develop a system called the Acclaim system which I will freely offer you the core pieces for your implementation.

The Hierarchy of Needs when Gamified into the Acclaim System (turned into a system of rules with a win and or a loss condition) you denote value based on importance. Physiological 50 pts, Saftey 40pts, Belonging 30pts, Esteem 20 pts, and Self-Actualization 10 pts. The total is 150 and you must breach 100 to be happy. Do note that human emotions usually follow compounding association so if additional happy things happen people will get happier and the same applies to negative.

Lets say you have a worker who is always stressing about money their Saftey is wrecked, their esteem is wrecked, thats 60 pts right there making it impossible for them to have a good day at work. If they forget to eat in the morning or skip lunch and have trouble sleeping they are going to loose the 50 pts from their Physiological needs and are more likely to Sabotage their relationships.

If you learn the core concepts which should take you at most 10mins online googling and youtubing you should be able to directly analyze all of your workers (and yourself) and be able to directly affect the environment that is demotivating your workers.

http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

20. joy farnadis

joy farnadis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good idea, you can motivate your employee, you can set a dead line for each work and announce some gifts so that they can do their work promptly. some time you can arrange some trips, parties, games etc

• Like Like x 1