Hiring vs. Doing it all Yourself

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by jnjsarauer, Nov 21, 2007.

1. kutuhiphop

kutuhiphop
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yep it depends actually...

if u have spare time and can do it alone, why not?

but if u really need help, u should hire someone or ask some friend that can help u and run the business together

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It all depend on the cost. If outsource is cheaper, always outsource
    I will only do it myself if it is very important or it is high cost, else always outsource.
    If i can do it but hire other people to do is cheaper, then i will outsource too

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The "Hiring vs. Doing it all Yourself" question is actually a very important one, in terms of how successful your business can be. If you want to create a successful business you simply can't do it all yourself. There are parts of the business that you will need to outsource or hire people to implement and manage.

You need to learn how to hire people or successfully outsource some tasks if you wish to succeed.

4. pakidesigner

pakidesigner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

when i hire some one, it is always when i find the hardest job to do myself, and i have time problems to deliver the project. i do contract with the person and that's how i do hiring, mostly it happened the one i hired, start doing there own work and become my competitor.. i don't know how to cure this pain.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What kind of work have you been hiring people to do?

Perhaps they were already your competitor before you hired them?

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, this is a pain. And therefore i never outsource the whole project to only one personal. Normal i still will follow up the project and prefer to break it down to two or more part. For example, When i get project on link building, then i will listed down what kind of link building need to be carry out, for example,
    1. blog commenting
    2. blog post
    3. dofollow forum posting
    Then i will hire 3 person, each of them only do one item. In this case, they are more focus on special work and dont really know how the whole link building project is going on

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's something I've learned as well Sigma. The more specific you make the task, the better the chance you have of getting a positive outcome. When I started out I made the tasks much too broad, when I was hiring. Not surprisingly, this often resulted in poor quality work being returned to me.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, I like to do it myself, unless I really don't know how to do it.
    I know how to write simple articles and make a couple of website banners so I don't need to hire someone to do that for me.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Which do you prefer, writing or design? What could you achieve, if you concentrated on the one that you are brilliant at and hired or outsourced the other tasks?

10. ahmedemad

ahmedemad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends. If you can make money do the other works

11. kutuhiphop

kutuhiphop
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yep..the same thing goes with my online magazine business...i did all the writing things...

but somehow i dont really know about making a website, and i have to hire people to do the things...

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer designing. But also like to write about stuffs that I really like. Especially what you see on my blog. But on your second question, sorry, butI can't seem to understand it. ><"

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear GekiDan. I read a theory before about the benefits of spending your time working on what you are brilliant at and outsourcing or hiring someone to do everything else. The author talked about what you are brilliant at, in terms of what you really enjoy doing and what you are naturally very good at doing. So, something that is a pleasure to work on and that you are good at, without having to make a huge effort.

The author's view was that in order to be truly successful we should spend as much of our work time as possible working on what we are brilliant at and hire others to take care of the rest.

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh. I see. Thanks for the explanation. Well, I rarely hire article writers for my blog since I didn't make it to earn money. I just made it to kill my free time and share some news and information to other people who share the same interest as I am. Putting Adsense on my blg is just a bonus. :D

15. kurama

kurama
    uix_expand uix_collapse

maybe it's depend on you, if u can do it yourself you don't need to hire someone..
    but if you are busy and can't do it maybe you need a help by hiring someone to do it..

16. JezC

JezC
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is really a question of work life balance and how much you can take on without going insane...if its too much to prevent that, then you need to hire, until then, do it yourself.

17. electroman

electroman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

on starting, i do it myself!Well as the business grows bigger, i start hiring more and more people! That's how it works for me ;)

18. EditingAudio

EditingAudio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's a good idea to hire at least one other person at least part time. You can hire them for less than what you make. Why not make more money?

19. AshleyWhiteBusin

AshleyWhiteBusin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can hire one by one then if you feel like you are expanding, then you can hire more. I bet you cannot do all those things all at once especially business accounting.