Help! Why is my business not selling???

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by alwm, Oct 21, 2010.

1. haramarcuse

haramarcuse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically, to grab the attention of your target market give free offers. This tends to generate positive response to your target customers and for them to rally to your business.
    Like give discounts for volume orders or offer buy one take one.

2. huan

huan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You will need to hire a professional to design your site to establish authenticity.

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally I would not invest another penny in SEO / website just yet.

You need a 100% clear plan:

* What you want your site to do, just information or to sell.

*What do you want your site to say? write it all up offline, read it, get someone else to read it, get a copywriter to take a fresh look, but only a copywriter who is willing to understand what you want from your business and what you want the website to do.

*What is your total advertising and marketing budget for the next 6 months.

*Who are your clients and where are you going to find them?

*Offline networking events. Not just exhibitions, but breakfast clubs and things like this where other business people attend who would be willing to give you fresh ideas and share knowledge.

*Do you know or could you get to know local flower shops, local hotels, local community centres, local churches etc etc.... these things are usually booked so far in advance it is crazy. Attempt to become a prefered supplier a person they all know and trust.

At the end of the day your business is all about trust and dreams that takes time to build up. I think it was Fergal who mentioned giving out free advice on the site. This is a good idea and will help you build a list of potential clients or potential suppliers of other wedding items in the future. Either a top ten tips for the perfect wedding that gets fed to them each week or a simple ebook that they can download.

4. haramarcuse

haramarcuse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Online readers can check the authenticity of a web site through its copyright information as well as contact information. Aside from this newsletters and telephone numbers should be found on a web page.

5. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another idea would be to add your products to the Google Product Search -- it's free :) When websites are waiting to gain search engine rankings, a well monitored PPC campaign is also beneficial.

6. talltom

talltom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just quickly scanned through this thread, and what caught my eye the most is your comment "why aren't I selling anything?"

So my first comment, is that you've received some really good responses. But I couldn't find the one response I was looking for, "Ask the (potential) customers."

One of the drawbacks of ecommerce is the absence of any direct communication with your prospects and clients, which is so critical to your success. When you're at the wedding fayres you mentioned, ask these people if they've seen your website. Collect their names, and important dates, and contact information. THEN FOLLOWUP with them.

Another issue with online ecommerce, is that it is simply brutal to operate a site that sells an order here, sells an order there, etc. Set up a sales pipeline by getting the website visitor to send you their contact information and other important info like wedding date, so that you can send them free samples. Then use that information to construct an email campaign. Do you need a photographer? Caterer? What other items do they need that you can sell? Party Favors? (one stop shopping?) Then collect commissions for connecting those dots.

You need to expand your strategy here. You're spitting into a hurricane trying to capture an order here, an order there just selling the wedding stationary alone.

Tom

7. joealex

joealex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like how you consider SEO as "organix marketing". I am currently participating in an internship program at a marketing company. I spend most of my 10 hours per week schedule with this company updating new products and answering customers' comments on facebook, and yelp. My mentor said since facebook and yelp are high ranking websites, by posting and having affiliate ads on such high traffic websites will upgrade our website on the Google search engine.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great advice, Tom. I was thinking there too that if you're at a fayre, you could set up a simple prize draw box for the people who are willing to fill in entry forms with all that information (including email). They'd be more likely to hand it over that way I think. :)

9. billinboots

billinboots
    uix_expand uix_collapse

can you tell me how to use the facebook to promote the site?

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Billinboots, you will get a much better response if you start a new thread and include some details on the site you would like to promote.