Free vs Paid Web Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by amanwaa, Nov 26, 2018.

1. amanwaa

amanwaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wanna host me charity website (non-profitable). please suggest me which is better website hosting for my new website paid or free web hosting?

2. RingRingNow

RingRingNow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course, you should use a paid hosting for everything, if you want to be safe. With free hosting services, they may limit you a lot, push lots of ads on your site.. .Anyway hosting is very cheap these days.

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is a free webhosting called Freehosting.com which I have been using for years now. No complain so far. The addons are also one time payment ones. I will recommend this to you if you want free hosting.

4. JoyFreak

JoyFreak
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest paying for the hosting. You get more flexibility and 100% uptime, mostly.

5. finiteus

finiteus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are even a little bit tech-savvy I recommend DigitalOcean. Cost is $5/mo for their basic VPS, but it is very capable (1GB memory and 20GB SSD storage). You can also choose a "one click app" which installs WordPress or Ghost on top of a server for you. It is very convenient and I have created several websites for clients like this, including one not-for-profit.

6. Aaron29

Aaron29
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In your signature, you are promoting a web hosting service and asking a question about free web hosting? How irrelevant is this.

Anyways here is the comparison between Free Vs. Paid Web hosting

FREE WEB HOSTING VS. PAID HOSTING - WHY FREE IS BETTER?
    Web presence is essential to all businesses. To establish a web presence, you'll need a website, and for it to go and stay online it needs a reliable web hosting service.

So what is reliable? Does "paid hosting" means better, more reliable service?

Not necessarily true.

A lot of times, free web hosting and paid hosting offers the same security, network bandwidth and port speed. The only difference is the hosting features included. These features include additional disk storage, data transfer, more scripting support, more email accounts, etc.

For a business opening a new website, or for any regular website, the disk storage and data transfer offered by a free web hosting service would be sufficient. It takes time to grow a website and accumulate enough visitors to max out the storage and/or data transfer limits of a free web hosting package. You can always upgrade your service from the free web hosting to paid hosting when the time comes.

Most small businesses do not need more than 5 email accounts. The more accounts you have just means the more time you have to spend managing them. Many free web hosting providers offer email aliases (or email forwarders) that allows you to create the illusion of having many different email addresses but in fact all emails to these aliases are redirected and managed by one account.

Unless you are planning on using applications that require advanced scripting support (ie. a content management system, an e-commerce shopping cart, etc.), your web files will simply be of HTML and image files. HTML and image files do not require advanced scripting support - any free web hosting services will do.

In conclusion, unless your website require the specific features offered by the paid hosting plans, free web hosting services might be all you need and especially if you are aiming to save on money without compromising on the performance.