Do you take a day off every week?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, May 20, 2009.

1. jia

jia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would love to but it is not possible :(, but i love my work so i enjoy my sunday :)

jia

2. allwinners

allwinners
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having whatever time off you feel like is necessary. There are various times in our lives where it is imperative to have more time off work than at other times. Wife giving birth, raising children, honeymoon, family bereavement, etc - all of these things require time for yourself and your family.

Work is only someting we have to do to pay the bills. What we all strive for, is that day when becomes something we do to fill in time that would otherwise be spent doing nothing at all. I watched my father maintain the same mundane job for 50 years! Every day, overtime, low pay with high responsibilty, and only 2 weeks off a year! Did we have a great family environment when I was growing up....... NO! He was always tired (from too much work), Overtime took up his weekends, and we never did anything as a family. I swore I would never take my son on the same journey, and I didnt!

In order to achieve that level of freedom, I had to work for myself. If I wanted to spend a sunny day on the beach with my boy, that is exactly what I did! If I wanted to take him out in the boat, that is what we did! If he wanted to chill at home in front of the fire and watch a great movie, we did that too.

Take whatever time you want or need..... Every second lost is a second never regained!

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You give some great pointers there allwinners, for maintaining a good work life balance, obviously it is something that is very personal to you. I'm glad to hear that it is working out for you.

It is very true that we need time for ourselves and our families during periods of great stress. It is important that employers are understanding and accommodating at these times.

4. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

allwinners good pointers you have given in order to have good live we should have both thing in equivalent ratio, family is the part of life.

People tent to forget that you earn for you family, in the earning process most of the people forgets about their families..

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, I do a little day-off every Sunday but I can't help it but work a little forum posting or write articles for my blog. Right now, I'm taking a little break from work but I'm a little bored so I write a couple of articles for my blog.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That doesn't sound like a break at all, maybe you need a hobby, perhaps one that gets you outside in the fresh air :)

7. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well I also write articles infect I write 10 articles a day, you write 2 articles for your blog but still it doesnt mean that you have a off day man! you are working.. off day mean no work.
    AM I RIGHT!

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a lot of articles per day, do you concentrate on any particular niche?

9. Norrad

Norrad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Right now I'm dying for a day off, I've been working every day from dawn till dusk for nearly 2 weeks now. That's the price I pay for holding down two jobs. I can't complain really, the more I work, the more money I make and the less I spend.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've been there in the past Norrad, too busy working to spend the money I was making. Not a bad position to be in, in these troubled times.

11. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No do write articles on any niche provide by the buyer and I am doing good with few buyers.

You want any article to be written let me know:D

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah you are right. But I do not write article to earn on my blog but as a past time.
    But honestly, I can't relax when I'm not oing anything...

13. juicemane

juicemane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess it mainly depends on the kind of job that you do.
    In some jobs, a day off could cause a lot of havoc, for example, if you sell items on ebay, taking a day off and ignoring peoples questions/not shipping items could make you appear to be less reliable as a seller and hurt your reputation.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I know how that feels, I'm just like that myself. I've got to be doing something all the time.

Very true, I've participated in transactions on webmaster forums and have seen people replying to sales threads getting very annoyed if their questions are not answered within a few hours.

One way to deal with this is to manage expectations. When you post an offer or request let people how long it may take you to reply to questions or requests for additional information. If your taking a day or a weekend off make sure to let people know, including the info in your signature can be a good idea.

15. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I surely take a pure break on every Sunday,
    On Sunday, I never do work, or get online on internet.

16. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why not just post offers or requests from Monday thru Thursday? This would give you at least Sunday off. I also agree that in some instances where your offer/request will extend thru the weekends that we should let people know that you'll be unavailable at those times and will get back to them first thing Monday.

That's good. I also believe that we should at least get one day off from work and the internet.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a good approach. It is all too easy to go online just to check a couple of emails, then doing just one more thing, only to get sucked in and end up spending a few hours online. It takes discipline to get the breaks and downtime we need.

Success is not just a result of the work we do but also other factors that affect our well being, such as the quality of our rest and recuperation time.

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, it's hard to me. I can' live without the internet.
    I think the only "real" day off that I will got is on Saturday when I will go and watch a movie with my family.

19. kguru1979

kguru1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am keeping the practice of taking leave atleast once in a month for getting relief from monotonous official works.. Usually I will spend time with my wife or parents so that I can get a good mental relief. Sure these kind of breaks will serve for efficient working in offices.

Since there is an reimbursement for number of leaves remaining is available for us, usually I will control taking leave and get an financial benefit at the year end...!!

20. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good Idea, I think I should be online for just checking Important mails.

Thanks.