Do you have a custom app for your business? Request for insights

Discussion in 'Apps & Software' started by sheneral, Jun 18, 2018.

1. sheneral

sheneral
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,

I'm doing some research for a project I'm working on, exploring the daily operations of small businesses. I'm wondering, for those of you who are small business owners, do you have your own apps for your business need? Whether it's for internal purposes or for customer use.

If you don't have an app, would having a mobile app help with your business need?

If you have an app, what problem does it solve for your business?

I'd love any feedback related to this. This is purely for research. Thanks so much!

2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Your question is broad. There is a big difference between the applications used on a desktop and those used on a mobile phone.

For example, I have an email client on my desktop I use for email and a mail app on my phone. I have an application I use for software development and another for image editing. Neither of these would be any use on a phone.

It would help a lot if you explained a bit more about the sort of applications you are referring to.

3. sheneral

sheneral
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sure.

My question is meant to be broad but to clarify: I don't mean apps you can download directly from the App Store or Google Play to start using, I mean if you specifically built an app for your own business need, whether it's for your customers or your own use.

For example this can be if you're an ice cream business, you built an app for people to order ice cream ahead of time so they can just come pick it up. Or maybe if you're a grocery store owner, you built your own app specifically for tracking your inventory.

I'm wondering whether business owners have these custom apps built specifically for their own business, or if they're looking to create one, and how that would help with their businesses.

Let me know if I can clarify further!

4. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Very few bother with custom apps. There was a time when everybody felt they needed one but because most websites are now responsive there is no longer the need for a customer facing app.

And your example of a custom inventory tracking app is unnecessary as there are already thousands of products covering every conceivable need.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are actually several grocery stores that offer delivery through an existing app, and/or offer "buy online, pick up in store" apps designed for a smartphone. I have one for a local convenience store that keeps track of points I earn for purchases. There are also apps available for customers to pay for their purchases using their smartphone. One can argue that there wasn't a "need" for the latter, but they do now exist. As previously mentioned, however, the delivery app is existing, not custom. The payment apps are also through an existing, third party, app. The "buy online, pick up in store" may be customized for the individual stores, but may be based on existing apps as well.
    In my full-time job, we use an app on a smartphone for report generating, but I'm not sure if it was custom for our company, or for the industry.

6. sheneral

sheneral
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is definitely true. I am, however, interested in specific reasons for why someone would or would not have a custom app, or for those who do have these type of custom apps, what kind of problems are solved for them.

But I do agree with you in that there are already a lot of apps of all kinds that meets existing needs of businesses. Just wondering if there are any who are trying to make their own apps :)

7. sheneral

sheneral
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Would you be able to share the name of the app? Or is it more of an internal / white-label product for internal use?

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I searched the name of the app on Google, and it appears to be a proprietary app that is for internal use only. Unfortunately, that means I cannot share the name.