Books to learn to create a startup company?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Rebels Liberty, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Rebels Liberty

Rebels Liberty
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know this has been asked a lot. I'm actually currently reading josh kaufman's personal MBA 99 book list. But they don't serve my CURRENT purpose.

You see, i'm not really a total beginner in the world of entrepreneurship. I've had several businesses in the past but they were either online, or were small businesses that weren't in the form of company. So there weren't any strict regulations, orginazional structure since i did everything myself, never needed investors since all the capitals came fronmmy own pocket, or all that stuff. I want to step up my game and create a startup but it's a venture i've never stepped into. Most of the books i've read and currently reading are either methodologies, motivations, or simply impractical. I'm not saying these books are bad, i'm just saying they're not what i need at the moment.

For example, a book suggests to issue stocks to raise funding. Like, okay, how? There's no further explanations, i assume the author assume everyone already know how to. I don't. So i googled. But it wasn't deep enough explanation like what happens to ownership percentage when we need further funding by issuing more stocks? Would i, as founder, need shareholders' permission to do so? Or what? This is simply impractical. I could seriously finish reading a book in 2 days but because they raise more questions than answers (not a bad thing, usually) i ended up searching the web for the whole day for only one topic.

As i said, these books aren't bad, i actually like them. But they would only be useful after i actually know how to do what they suggest me to do. Or after i at least have a general idea on how to create a startup.

So, i was wondering if there's a book where it's sorta a complete guide on how to create a startup company? Or at least a book about how companies in general work. Or am i stuck with my current learning method which is impractical?

2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Why do you need a book?

What sort of business do you want to start? Can you work from home? Have you got a supplier? What's your marketing plan? How much money do you have?

A good friend started with an idea, did some research, created a prototype, marketed the product and now has a £10M business. You don't need a book. You just need something people want and the skills to market that thing.

3. Rebels Liberty

Rebels Liberty
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally learn much faster through reading + taking notes so i can review them later, than watching videos or listening to lectures. (I lose my focus really quickly when listening to long speeches).

Err.. I don't think it's a good idea to tell people "You don't need a book. You just need something people want and the skills to market that thing." It's as if telling people knowledge, experience, capitals, management, leadership, finance, regulations, SOP, capable staffs, don't matter.

Of course i understand you that you don't mean that. But in order to "market that thing" i need to know everything i need to know to "create that thing"

4. overcast

overcast
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are plenty of books out there. But it depends what applies to your context. Books written by silicon valley folks may not apply to small town business owners. But still you can check books like "start small, stay small". They can give some hints to work on.

5. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

What sort of startup are you planning?

If you want to start a wheelie cleaning business you don’t need a book. Same if you want to be a dog walker.

The questions I asked in my last post are relevant to being able to answer your question fully.

6. VITS USA

VITS USA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are experienced person and you are ready to learn which is the good sign for growing in the life because knowledge comes from learning. Firstly you should know why you wants to do business? Which type of business you should do? What is your passion? What is your strength? After that you should read the book “Cash flow quadrant” written by Robert kiyosaki where you can easily understand which type of business is really good for you.