Blog for ecommerce websites!

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by thomas9059, Jul 4, 2017.

1. thomas9059

thomas9059
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't see amazon.com and other BIG e-commerce websites owning blog. Should an ecommerce website own a blog for SEO benefits? Or its not a good practice? Can anyone help me understand this....
    Thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The #1 reason why Amazon and other large e-commerce sites do not have a blog is because they don't need one. There are many factors to consider when ranking a website, and they probably do so well with the others that it's not necessary to have one. I should also mention that No website should "own a blog for SEO benefits"! The purpose of a blog is too educate and inform their readers. Of course, they will then get SEO benefits from doing this, but the primary reason for having the blog is not, and should not be, for SEO benefits.

• Like Like x 2
  3. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion a blog would be useful for any website and there is no different for an ecommerce website. When you talk about amazon, they don't need any advertising as they are already very well established and almost anyone know about them. A blog would help you put fresh content on your website and give something new to your website visitors. It would be fine if you update your blog once or twice in a month but if you have it, it would be a positive thing for your website.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Blogs are awesome for the purpose of sharing quality, relevant, and informative content. The reason why huge e-commerce sites don't put up blogs is that it's a huge waste of time for them when they're making money using other profitable strategies. Take Amazon, for example, if their purpose is to inform buyers and sellers and provide tutorials they have lots of it in their FAQs and Help section. They don't need a blog because almost everyone knows about them already.

5. alom

alom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree with the above comment. Amazon and alike e-commerce websites are the GIANTS in their niches and people are aware of their services no matter what country they live in. However I think that it might be a really good idea to come up with a BLOG as it will definitely be #1 across e-commerce community with top-notch content and compelling texts. You never know what will happen in the next couple of years.

6. RolandV

RolandV
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because Amazon owns "SEO" and a lot of brands either :D

It is necessary if you want to get free organic traffic related to your content. That's why you use a blog because with powerful copy writing you can attract many visitors.

Imagine E-commerce store that sells Clothes and writes Fashion related blog you will get more traffic plus you will have another opportunity to share not only products but content only which can sometimes be even more attractive. You can then also work on backlinks where people can re-share your fashion related content. It is hard to work on backlinks when you have shop ;) well not hard but with content is easy and it has huge power for organic related searches.

People who already are known they might abandon their blogs but for a startup, this is an opportunity to get free organic traffic related to your shop - they will convert into sales :)

7. muqtada123

muqtada123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From my point of view, i would suggest that eCommerce websites should have a blog section because i experienced many times when search for a particular product or i see one in the listing but not enough satisfy sometimes with its specification, usage, features and all, so you can use blog section when you see reviews from the users and write on the particular product to make it easier for the user to understand it well enough and of course it is also beneficial for use and over all the sales when you can redirect the reader to the particular page from your content.

8. eWebber

eWebber
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I started 6 years ago I had a few blog sites that used an autoblogger plugin. Autoblogs are done by plugings that capture other blogs of any keyword you want. It will go and fetch other blogs with that keyword. I know BAD BAD BAD. But I was learning. Yes blogs should be informative and not copied. Google will dock you big time for using other blogs. Writing an informative blog will boost your seo in google and will gain the trust of your viewer when they learn something of your own experience. I find that it is the persons experience that is valuable to the viewer, and not just about something the writer has not yet experienced. Experience is the most valuable asset of the web. Don't try to fake it because you wont have any better information than other blogs. People want special information out of your experience.
    But what I learned from all the articles on my site is that some of them reached good ranking for keyword phrases that people search. In my google analytics account I could see which blog article was getting hits and thought well maybe sense it is up there I can add a product to it. Its the articles of your blogs that may suddenly reach the first page of a persons keyword search. But if it is not original words google wont put you there.

9. Smith-K

Smith-K
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's probably because they are authority sites within their niche. They do not need to do any SEO. They are go to sites for people and they have millions of affiliates promoting the products available on their platform.

10. Suman Verma

Suman Verma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After reading this thread, I just thought that these big ecommerce websites actually don't pay much attention to the blogs. Though they may be having any separate blog at any other platforms. But one thing I would lilke to say here is that they are quite huge brands and every retail/other related websites have blogs catering amazon's mention in there. May be they don't really need to put up a separate blog for themselves, others are doing it for them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Smith-K

Smith-K
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to agree with Suman. The big sites do not need to post content as they have already carved a niche for themselves. They mainly focus on the branding part which involves investing into paid advertising.

12. felipe pinto

felipe pinto
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best thing about an e-commerce site, if it is well designed, is that we can not only customize the user experience, but also measure and evaluate everything that happens on our site and understand how our consumers buy, browse and what is their overall experience. So we know which are our most popular products and how to improve them.

13. trace56

trace56
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it depends on which result do you expect from the blog. Do you think that it will give you more conversion? Yes. But in case of eCommerce site do you need to make such effort? Maybe, if you provide some services or you sell something that you should explain how to use it would be a good idea to try out. Another thing is how to use your website, order, pay, etc. But usually eCommerce sites have FAQ for such purpose. Definitely, you should make a research, test this and decide.

14. Jayesh Group

Jayesh Group
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion a blog would be useful for any website and there is no different for an ecommerce website. When you talk about amazon, they don't need any advertising as they are already very well established and almost anyone know about them. A blog would help you put fresh content on your website and give something new to your website visitors.

15. MargoKlein

MargoKlein
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As other posts have alluded to, the reason the likes of Amazon don’t have a blog is that they don’t need one—they already get enormous amounts of traffic.

However, for practically any other ecommerce website that doesn’t rake in billions of dollars each year, a blog is an excellent idea.

First, the obvious point—a blog that you contribute to regularly with content based around specific keywords is likely to drive more traffic to your ecommerce site. And driving more targeted traffic dramatically increases the chances of making a sale.

Furthermore, a blog provides the opportunity to build trust among prospective customers, which is extremely important when you want to get people to buy something from you.

Blogging is also a good way to build links from other websites and social media, which further improves your website’s search engine ranking. If you think about it, how many times do you see people linking to an interesting blog post versus a link to a product page? The former happens much more frequently, and having a blog allows you to take advantage of that possibility by publishing engaging, authoritative content.

16. Bella Lopez

Bella Lopez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Amazon and eBay are big companies who really don't need a blog now. However, you do!

An eCommerce business can drive crazy traffic and sales from blogs alone. A known secret is that blogs with unique content rank faster in the Google search. So, while you're promoting your e-commerce site and products, you can also use blogs as a way of Inbound Marketing.

your blogs will improve the domain authority of your website and if you're providing users with valuable content, they'll share it and come back to you for advice and suggestions.

17. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

That used to be the case but Google has got wise to promotional blog posts and no longer ranks them so well.

Far better to put all your effort into marketing the product and category pages. SEO is just one part of marketing. Done right you can rank a product page for all sorts of useful keywords.

18. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If a blog post provides valuable, helpful information to the reader, it's not promotional. In fact helpful, valuable information is what Google is looking for. Even Google will think that if visitors keep coming back to this site, and more visitors keep joining them, it might be worth ranking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Indeed, but many blog posts are written as a promotional tool rather than adding value. Too many websites have a blog whose sole purpose seems to be to marketing particular services or products. These are then shared automatically on SM sites and the whole thing becomes a pointless exercise.

But if a blog post was written to explain how to choose or use a product with tips on incorporation, cleaning, maintenance and so on then it would begin to add value. But it would add even more value if this content want part of the product page itself (not a blog post).