At What Age Should You Think About Your Professional Life?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by rf-harris, Nov 30, 2017.

1. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In these days many people are studying till they are in their early twenties, and many are studying well beyond 30. At what age one should think about his/her professional life and career and concentrate less on the studies.

OR

You can also say it in this way: Till what age one should give first priority to his/her studies?

• Like Like x 1
  2. oliviadavid

oliviadavid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

#2 oliviadavid, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. MargoKlein

MargoKlein
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A person should think about what potential careers would be interesting during their undergraduate (or secondary school if not moving towards a university degree) years. That way they can consider what programs would move them towards their career. Depending on the path, concentrate on education while education is a prerequisite to a career. For example, don't focus on a future career while studying for a graduate degree in Mathematics. Do focus on a career as you reach the time to actually get a job.

Don't be afraid to change your mind, or admit that the career you thought you wanted doesn't interest you. Find something you love and think about how to turn that into a career. Too many stumble into a career and get stuck due to economic need.

4. Daniel A. Carr

Daniel A. Carr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on the students capability and their financial background. See, If your financial background is strong then off-course you should give priority to studies till you want but if you weak as financial strength then how could you continue your studies then at that moment you need to change your priorities from studies to career.
    Personally my opinion is, you should decide which way do you want to go you decide, because every one has different circumstances but atleast everyone must be a graduate.

5. Julia Sta Romana

Julia Sta Romana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't necessarily agree with this. I think concentrating on your studies doesn't have to interfere with your professional life. In some cases, it can even improve it. I'm taking my MBA right now and focusing on my studies has helped me build a network. It has allowed me to be better at my job. So I don't thing these 2 components of your life have to compete with one another. Because if you want to develop yourself, you will need to keep studying AND work on your career at the same time.

6. Have you used offrs?

Have you used offrs?
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Always. If you don't love what you do for food, you're doing it wrong. It's okay, you're just not in the right place or position. It's easy for someone to say, but a person can spend their entire lifetime hunting their role in life. Getting paid to do that love in life is another thing altogether. So, if you're not feeling it... you're in the wrong seat. Always learn, always grow, always get better at what you love (baking, woodwork, municipal services... whatever).

7. Olivia Caitlin

Olivia Caitlin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well after reading the above discussion i would say people have different opinions according to their experience. I all depends on what you want. If you want to study do it or if you want to work go for it.There is no right and no wrong. i started my job when i was 25 and started MBA while working so i would say that all depends on your choice. In my case i want to study but want to gain some business experience so i started job. But remember choose only that thing which motivates you and keep inspiring unless you may loose breath very early.

8. devninmurphy

devninmurphy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It totally depends on persons choice. I started my career when i was in High school . i started selling newspapers in the morning and after that go to the College. After the Graduation i joined a local Consultancy service and after that i changes many companies but i was clear what i want in my life. In my opinion one Should think about his career when he is in Graduation because at that time if you are clear then you can have some good opportunities during the Placements.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brad Young

Brad Young
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In most professional markets, it’s tough to get started and even highly qualified young adults can struggle. I think it’s important for anyone 16/17 onwards to have a strong eye on their potential career and take steps to stand out in that industry.

Granted, not everyone knows what they want to do and, at such a young age, they’re just as likely to get it wrong. But the ethic, drive and vision they set for themselves is going to be key for building the professional life they want as they find their path.

Plus, there are plenty of way to combine study, professional development and – shocker – fun. Whether that’s taking a year out or a college course that allows international travels, students who seek new experiences will be rewarded later.

If that’s not an option, work placements can a great opportunity and it’s easy enough for US teens to find placements to intern in Britain like this scheme https://www.bunac.org/usa/intern-abroad/professional/britain. These kinds of experiences can give young adults some of the work experience that will pay off after college as well as a good demonstration of getting out of their comfort zone to adapt to new environments – all of which will help them stand out when they’re ready to think of their career.