Any way to negotiate salary after verbally accepting offer?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Jordan C, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Jordan C

Jordan C
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently was offered a role with a company and somehow didn't raise my current salary when asked what I am making at the moment. I verbally accepted the offer and have the PDF offer waiting for my signature in my email. This job is a big change in my career that will require more hours per week and gives me much more responsibilities and having a few people reporting to me. I found out a few of these details after verbally accepting since the role changed a bit throughout the conversations with the person hiring me.

I just had my second conversations asking some clarifying questions and didn't bring up salary. I am of the mindset that I am creating new opportunities for my career and raising the ceiling of what I can make. I am frustrated that I didn't at least ask for another $5k-$10k a year since they would never have known what I actually make right now anyway.

Is it totally inappropriate or unprofessional of me to try and ask for more at this point or since the details of the role were clarified over a few days, does it seem maybe ok for me to say that and just ask for a bit more money?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tedel

Tedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If there will be a contract or any other agreement in writing, then you can use as excuse any difference between the explanation you received and the obligations set forth in the document to try to negotiate.

3. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think it is a wise thing to ask for the salary increase once you have agreed. It is better to say sorry to them and join another employer where you are getting paid according to you wish or you already have better offer you can ask them that you have a better offer and if you can match their offer I will excuse with them as I have already accepted your job offer. This will surely give a good impression to them that you are willing to fulfill your commitment with them.

4. BrightFuture

BrightFuture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes is possible to negotiate, since it is not documented acceptance, but if it is documented acceptance you cannot negotiate the amount.

5. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wouldn't necessarily say that it is "totally inappropriate or unprofessional" to ask for more money now, but it is certainly awkward and may start your new career off on the wrong foot.

If you pitch it right, you can possibly minimize the harm. For example, if the required additional hours were not clear at the time you set your salary requirements, you might explain that you are excited about the job but that the increased hours of work mean that you are taking a pay cut on an hourly basis.

Still, I recommend that you seriously consider the effect that asking for more money now may have on your relationship with your new employer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Julia Sta Romana

Julia Sta Romana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think so. It's just a verbal acceptance so the negotiations aren't exactly final. I think they might even be expecting you to negotiate your salary now that you know what the position entails and how much they're offering you.

7. Jeff Rodburg

Jeff Rodburg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you mean? It was only asked but they didn't mention anything after that?

Anyway, It would be awkward to ask FOR more but I think it would be professional when you ask IF there's more to it. You can say that you had another look at the offer and you want to set expectations about your salary and ask if how it would be set up. Have them explain before you request for reconsideration and put up any arguments.

Please update us on how it went.

8. BUDGET PRE OWNED

BUDGET PRE OWNED
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you
    can tell your company that u got an offer from another organization with more salary...
    in this way you can start to negotiate salary

9. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What happens if they call his bluff and withdraw the offer - he would then be up the proverbial creek, because he would be unemployed.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honesty goes a long way and companies, big or small certainly appreciate this. Although salary is a pretty awkward topic to discuss and clarify, it won't hurt to let your future employer know that you'd like a higher rate than what they offer. In most businesses, this is negotiable especially since you mentioned that the workload outweighs the proposed rate.

11. Indesh Aryan

Indesh Aryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suppose, rather than having any regret in future, do something for it right now. It's not too late now, you can discuss it with them in next meeting in a polite manner with solid reasons, so that they feel about you are leaving your current job with same salary package for them, and you deserve a hike on your current salary.

12. Jessica A.

Jessica A.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it already written in paper that rate at which you will get paid? If it is, then I don't think there's room for negotiation anymore. Verbally agreements isn't really final and you could drum up an excuse about the increased working hours and added responsibilities and maybe they will try and change your salary package.

13. Ellie005

Ellie005
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If the contract is not written - yes. If it is written on paper - no.
    But is also depends on each situation, because if you had a long talk with the future company about salary, then you confirmed you acceptance it might be considered a bit rude to change your mind.
    But try - say that you've been thinking and you want more - there is no pretty way of saying it :)