Am I too old to switch careers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by ErwinBernz37, Aug 28, 2018.

1. ErwinBernz37

ErwinBernz37
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Currently, I have been working as the general manager for a foreign marriage agency for nearly 10 years now. Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do. It feels incredibly amazing to be the bridge that brings people together for love and romance. However, I have been thinking of changing careers lately. Despite how fulfilling my current job is, I feel like there is more out there for me.

I want to try something new and exciting. Maybe learn how to code and get a job at a startup company, or I don’t know, finish my studies and finally get my degree in psychology. I’m already in my late 30s, so it might be too late for me. Am I too old to be switching careers and starting from scratch all over again?

2. Olivia418

Olivia418
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think 30s is not too old to start a change for something new if your really feel like that. To get a new start up career, I would like to suggest, think yourself which job or work you like most. Then think of it and analyze it's availability and future possibility. Hope you will be able to sit tight on your target.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sansan

Sansan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,I am not sure you are a male or female,but actually I nearly 30 years old now,I change my job in the starting of this year,but I think it is OK for me,and I love my job and my life,hope everything is going well with you.

4. Jessica A.

Jessica A.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nobody is too old to do something that you know you will regret in the end if you don't act on it. Carpe diem, seize the moment. A lot of people grew old with regrets. Don't be one of them. Everything has a phase. Maybe your phase in that career is done and somebody else needs your help in another. It's up to you to decide. Weigh the pros and cons.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ivanchung2018

ivanchung2018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have enough skills and full of power, and with good health, ages can not stop anything you want to do, and it is never too late.

6. Julia Sta Romana

Julia Sta Romana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think so. Like you, I am in my late 30s and I went back to school. It was uncomfortable at first. Most of my classmates (and some professors) were younger than me. But taking my MBA did open more doors for me. So I suggest you go for it!

7. Onyx

Onyx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, Erwin. I think age is not a pre-requisite for landing a new job. Just show how can you contribute to the company. Good luck!

8. Mrbiller

Mrbiller
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Start a business never too old or young all you need passion and determination and never give up attitude.

Good Luck :)

9. VITS USA

VITS USA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to say one thing only, There is no matter of age, the important thing is your thinking. Because everything starts from your thought. If you think you can do and you think you can not do, in both situation you are right.

10. bluepacific

bluepacific
    uix_expand uix_collapse

a 30-year-old age is exactly the golden age for a man to start his business. Becasue a man at this age has adequate experience, fierce ambition and a clam heart which are the most essential thing for starting a business.

11. ZhiYang

ZhiYang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, Nope. I would say if you want to pursue studying, you may go for open university that offer part time study, many of those business owner go for that to enhance their knowledge. There is a proverb in Chinese: Live and Learn. Regarding changing your career in 30s, nobody is too late in anything, Jack Ma once said, everyone have their own timeline in our life, whether it is at the early age or late, eventually you'll reach where you wanted to be. Good Luck!