YouTube Changes Copyright Algorithms

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Jerlene, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

YouTube is changing its algorithms in a bid to cut down on invalid copyright infringement claims on its video-sharing site.
    The site, a subsidiary of Google, said Oct. 3 it will begin to manually review some claims rather than its system automatically blocking disputed footage.
    The changes come about a month after algorithms mistakenly flagged a speech by First Lady Michelle Obama shortly after it aired. YouTube’s system automatically put a copyright blocking message on the clip.
    YouTube launched Content ID five years ago to help users manage their content when it appears on the site.

Read the full story here: http://www.sitepronews.com/2012/10/04/youtube-changes-copyright-algorithms/

I could have used this just last week when I put a completely legitimate video up and it got flagged and blocked in a matter of seconds.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

While I am a staunch supporter of copyright protection, I think the "block now, check later" approach is giving rise to a lot of false positives. In addition, some copyright owners are misusing the threat of copyright to take down legitimate material.

The penalties for falsing claiming copyright infringement should be commensurate with the penalty for the infringement itself.

3. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At least they don't allow their system to automatically block videos that are flagged by users. Youtube would be gone in a hurry if that happened.

4. Rank Fruit

Rank Fruit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The main idea is to solve this problem related to copyright infringement. According to the announcement of the new rules, if the video upload video game challenge, the alleged rights of people should give up according to the requirements of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, we can't really stop people from posting copyrighted stuffs on YouTube. If I'm not mistaken, YouTube already have their own way on not publishing a video that matches their records as a copyrighted content. But, we can't deny that they are many people who can get away with this method, like edit these stuffs, re-save it and posting it again.

On the topic, it's about time that YouTube do some manual checking. Although most of the copyrighted content are flagged, but along with these are legitimate and originally made videos by people, who are mistakenly flagged by others.