your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by newbie09, Feb 25, 2010.

1. newbie09

newbie09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, I recently have changed my website: ezytunes.co.uk into a music video sharing site.

Even thought it's not completely finished yet (e.g. video categories need renaming), I just want to know what you guys think of the design and useability?

Its going to be a site where talented individuals who can sing can showcase their singing talents, get noticed, build up a fan base and also the site has social functionality so members can send messages to each other.

Do you guys have any advertising tips? I found alot of potential members and I'm contacting them, but I just want some advice so I can get off to a good start. The website is free to join so it should have a decent start.

Finding and contacting leads is one thing, but converting leads to members is another.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You said in a previous thread that you were going to change the concept of the site, because you had concerns regarding copyright issues. How has the site concept changed?

I would suggest that the site design needs a lot of improvement, for it to appear professional. The top half of the page looks OK, but the bottom half where the videos are, looks as if you haven't customised the script / site design very much and it could really do with some work.

You should ask any questions you have on promoting the site in our Online Marketing, Advertising & SEO forum.

[Moving thread to Website & Graphic Reviews Forum!]

3. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

newbie09,

Seems to be a good concept but your site doesn't reflect it. My review using my favorite CODE method.

Content - You need to explain the purpose of the website in order to attract more members. DOn't see any active blog or forum. No explanation about you or website. It seems like you are just sharing the itunes song list.
    Organization - Needs lot of improvement. It looks like the pictures are scattered all over the place.
    Delivery - Pinkish, may be good for many but doesn't look professional.
    Effectiveness - You can do lot better by not adding too many photos. Also do you have copyrights for these photos.

Hope this helps.

4. newbie09

newbie09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

re:

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

The concept has changed. Before, the site was about uploading and sharing mp3 songs. From what I heard, if one of the members on the site uploads copyrighted mp3's, I could get in serious trouble with the law.

So now I have changed the website into a music video sharing site for talented singers to post videos and get noticed with social functionality included.

I agree that the bottom half of the site needs improvement. But my main focus at the moment is my web designer completing the development side of the site first as I'm very keen on launching the site.

He's already got so many projects on, so the design can be improved on at a later stage.

At the moment, the video categories are getting renamed, I'm going to add a slogan underneath the website title so the purpose of the site is clearly mentioned and I'm thinking of removing the forum section and adding it only when site is established.
    And there are other finishing touches being applied.

I already found lots of potential members to join my site. I'm taking advantage of social networks such as myspace for advertising and also directories and many other sites.

What worries me is that there are alot of people with 1000's of friends on myspace so I'm not sure if my advertising on that site will be effective or not.

5. newbie09

newbie09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

re:

In regards to your CODE method, I will add some more content soon, like a slogan, news article, about us page etc. to explain the purpose of the site.

You have said the pictures are all over the place. Don't you mean videos. I agree that the video section needs improving.

I don't know what you mean by pinkish. I think I need to improve the bottom half of the site to give the site a more professional look.

Copyright for photo's? They're video's. They were added by my web designer as a test. They will be removed and soon enough members can post their own videos after sign up.

Thanks for the explanation of the code method and the info. Hopefully my site will get some major improvements by my web designer.

I'm just waiting for it to get finished.

6. navast

navast
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your website looks pretty and it`s really interesting. As a member user, Can I down load some vedio from the website?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

newbie09 will your site only accept uploads from the creators of the music, i.e. the band or artist?

8. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My Views:

Overall, the site looks good and it seems to be fine everything there. The video player theme looks good as well but there are few things which you need to change and they are:

Favicon: I see the default favicon of Joomla there. I would suggest you to change it to your own to make it look good.

Video: I think you need to upload good and fresh video's to make your site looks good and to make it look perfect. If your site is good then and only then a visitor will stay on your site for longer time, if it is not good then the visitor will go instantly.

Hope it helps.

Thanks!

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It will put you into trouble once someone uploaded a copyrighted content on your site.
    Here are some of my suggestions:

Favicon: If possible, change it to something that represents your site. You can make a simple graphic just like the letters "E" and "Z".

Featured Video: The video automatically buffers. It eats alot of bandwidth and contributes to slow loading time. You can put it as is as along as it's not automatically playing.

Logo: Create a more appealing one and use web-safe colors. Or design it as Web 2.0

10. newbie09

newbie09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Anyone can post song videos at this stage as the site is new but i'll ban those that upload videos thats not there's to avoid copyright issues.

What do you think of the changes to my site. Graphics been improved etc.

I've added videos, what do you think?

None of the videos on homepage automatically plays but the the design of ezytunes has changed.

Do you like the improvements?

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't see any major changes to be honest newbie09. The way that you ask your visitors to upload their videos to YouTube and then post the YouTube link on your site is interesting. How will your site benefit your members, over and above what they already get from uploading to YouTube?

Who are your target market, or in other words what kind of people will use your site?

12. newbie09

newbie09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

re:

The problem with youtube, is that they are too generic. My site is for a specific niche which is music. Not what you hear on tv, but artists with real talent.

I have different categories for different people. e.g. hip hop, grime etc. so users can choose what type of songs they hear. Most popular song vids will appear on the homepage. The people who watch the vids, watch because they want to listen to proper music and the artists can build up a fan base on ezytunes much better.

Also my site will be where amateur music labels etc. can look for talent as I make it pretty easy. With youtube, it'll be difficult for them to find talent. Also on my site they can include info on gigs etc.

Thats a reason why they would use my site.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, a little change in layout and logo are some of the changes I see. But what's that donate button on the right side? Moneybookers? Why don't you use Paypal? Paypal is easier to process and can accept payments directly from credit cards.

And I see that your favicon haven't changed at all.

14. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The logo looks good now and the things which were looking dirty are corrected now, and they look really good. Just few things you need to change is a Favicon. And another thing is allow donations through PayPal.

15. newbie09

newbie09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

re:

What's wrong with moneybookers? I can't use paypal as my paypal account is suspended from a long time ago. Long story.

Moneybookers can accept payments directly from credit cards as well. They are like the british version of paypal but without all the complaints.

16. newbie09

newbie09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll change the favicon. Thanks.

Does anyone have any advertising tips? I only got 2 members apart from me. I'm trying my best to get members but it's difficult and time consuming.

One of the members is a proper singer with albums etc.

I forgot to mention. I'm thinking of starting a competition for my website, in order to get members. If I offer prizes like mp3 players etc., do you think the competition is a good idea?

#16 newbie09, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  17. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

For advertising you can try Youtube as it is a good source. You can upload a video and at the end you can ask the people to join your site if they want to promote there band or music albums. You will get good amount of members from there.

Yeah, competitions are always great for getting good amount of member and I think you will surely get good amount of members with it.

Thanks!

18. dgclic

dgclic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Web design...

Use the color on the top on three steps, youtub, ezy and your talent. this four square figures could be showed more.

#18 dgclic, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with Sahil that a contest could work well for you newbie09. An MP3 sounds like a good prize, because it is relevant to your target audience. One thing to be conscious of when running a contest, is to ensure that it rewards something that is helpful to your site. For example, reward quality participation or quality uploads, as opposed to the quantity of participation or uploads. If you reward quantity the contest could result in lots of low quality content being uploaded to your site and being counter-productive.

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can get more target donations if you have Paypal in there. :D

It's really time consuming but it's really worth it. There's nothing as easy task to promote and get lots of results. You need to spend more time on it to get more members and visitors.

Look for related blogs or sites that have a good amount of traffic, for link exchanges. This is one of the best way to promote your site.