Your thoughts and views on EP

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by Chris Grigg, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Chris Grigg

Chris Grigg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to know the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I would like to know what should be changed, added, moved, etc. Feel free to type your 100% opinion! Help me improve!

www.exchangepoint.info

2. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey chris, When i 1st view your forum i am Wow! by it. The color scheme is perfectly nice looking!

Logo: Maybe it should be slightly bigger in size? Because the current size is too small for me and when i have a whole view the logo is like left out.

Sidebar: Why do you have to put Forum Statistics at the side when at the bottom of the forum it says ExchangePoint Statistics it has no different?

Section: Maybe you should move the lounge to the entrainment section? Because what i think is that The Exchange Point section is just for Introductions, Feedback and News&Updates.

Other that what i pointed at the top, your forum is nice and good. Hope what i said, is able to help you out. Cheers!

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The site looks great Chris, well done on getting it set up and launched. The first thing that surprises me about the forum is that the site name and the words you use to describe it "Buy - Sell - Trade" suggest that it is a marketplace and trading forum, yet your "Market" section appears at the very bottom of your list of forums.

Your "Advertise Here for $5 Only" button in the sidebar is not clickable. When I see something like that on a site, I expect to click at and be brought to further info on advertising slots available and details on how to purchase advertising on the site.

It might help to give your domain name more recognition, if you included the ".info" part of the domain in your site logo.

Overall I like the appearance of the site and I wish you the very best of luck with it.

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The headings in the central section are a little difficult to read. The white text on the light(ish) blue background isn't as clear as it might be (perhaps removing the graduation from those areas and just keeping the darker blue from the lower section could help, personally I'd consider moving from the white text to a dark navy text).

Perhaps it's just me, but having the log in box, stats and sponsored ads on the left hand column rather than the right is a little off putting. It breaks with the design norms and while this isn't necessarily a bad thing (sometimes it's good to stand out), this one has become the norm due to the way users behave. Our eye will always be drawn to the upper left section (at least for the majority of users), so it's slightly wasted on a 'log in' box (it's better to show the user the benefits of the site to encourage them to sign up and log in daily rather than taking up the most valuable real estate with it).

If someone just happens to stumble across the site, the homepage doesn't give much of an idea of the target market or who the forum will benefit. Perhaps add a tag line/text to the right of the logo to describe the forum to a new user (but keep it short and snappy).

A similar comment on the page title "ExchangePoint - Powered by vBulletin" isn't exactly selling the forum in the best light or giving a user (or search engine) an idea about what the forum provides.

In your meta description and elsewhere on the site you use "something like eBay". While it's good to let people know what to expect and giving a comparison helps achieve this, if you're going to make a direct comparison like this... be sure to go further and explain why your offering is better than the competition. If I'm going to use a site "something like eBay", why wouldn't I just use eBay? What is your USP? How does using your forum give the user something they can't get elsewhere? (etc.)

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My review:

LOGO: I don't think it's that small like 50cent had said. What make it small is the amount of free space available above it. I have noticed that BAF and EP's logo/header is nearly the same size yet, BAF have lesser amount of free space above it while EP has. Maybe reducing the amount of free space above the logo.

UPDATE: I saw that you still haven't included your logo on your MakeMoney theme, same goes with the Default style. Are you planning to add it there?

DOMAIN: I see you are using INFO domain extension. Are you planning to change it to COM soon or not? Since search engines will notice your site more if you use the COM extension.

If not, you could incorporate it to your logo so that visitors will easily remember your site's address. As we all knew, internet users use the site's name + .com as a default when they like to go to a certain site.

THEME/TEMPLATE: Yo got a good template there. The color scheme greatly blends with your logo, well, at the the blue part. How about changing the link color to a darker green so it could very well match your logo? Just a suggestion and it's still your decision if you will follow it or not.

SIDEBAR: 50cent is right. You don't have to put the Forum Stats there since it is already visible at the bottom. Fergal is also right. The "Advertise" image should lead to a thread on how your advertisers can purchase an advertisement.

On your Adbrite ad, maybe you can widen it so that it could match the width of the "Advertise Here" image. It might look better that way.

And another thing, you could add RECENT POSTS/THREAD on your sidebar in-place of the removed Forum Stats.

FORUM SECTIONS: The forum sections seems to be ok for me. I think MEDIA and ENTERTAINMENT could be merged so that you will have lesser Forum Sections. And you could move LOUNGE there since it's an Off-Topic section, leaving the EXCHANGE POINT section with all the sub-categories intended for the discussion for the forum itself.

Another thing, yo can move your BUY/SELL/MARKETPLACE section above, maybe below SEARCH ENGINES. And put all the ENTERTAINMENT stuffs below the main topics.

Hope these critics/comments/suggestions could help your forum become better.
    And I hope your site's success.:thumbsup:

6. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Search engines don't actually care what the TLD is, each has an equal weighting (obviously this changes slightly in terms of localization where a ccTLD does carry benefits). Even tld's like .gov or .edu are treated the exact same, with the other factors surrounding the site making the difference (e.g. a .gov will normally attract a far larger number of backlinks than an 'average' site due to its authoritative nature), not the TLD.

This, on the other hand, is very true and relevant. In a perfect world, you'd hope to pick up various tld's relating to your domain (and perhaps common typo's too) to ensure you never lose a visitor, but as these all come with costs it's not practical.

7. impact

impact
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I think you haven't updated much info there?

8. Azertyle

Azertyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1.Nice logo
    2.Sorry but I cant find much fault on your website.

9. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Firstly, I really like your theme. The mixtures of blue and white really goes well together, and the theme is very easy on the eyes, which makes me want to read more. I know you may be making money from the advertisements but really, you have 2 major ads spaced on the left side of your forum and at the footer. Users going to your forum will likely see that you set up the forum, added some paid advertisements and the think you only want to make money. I would of waited for a while until you gained more activity and members before adding the advertisements.

Secondly, the sidebar for me is a little too big. Take BAF's sidebar for example, it's not too big, yet it isn't too small and it has all the information you need in that space provided. With your sidebar being that big your forums have been squeezed together more and thus adding longer descriptions to forums may seem like you will have to scroll down the webpage more.

Good luck with your forum and I wish it all the best.

#9 John1, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010