Your Opinion on This Blog

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by Fergal, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Please reply to this thread with your opinion on http://sahilkotak.com.

What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? Have you any suggestions to improve or promote it?

The winner of our previous contest was Sahil.

2. jonromio

jonromio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very Good Website with many Info. But it Need Some work in Design and Need to be updated with fresh NEWS Daily.

3. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that the banner can be made more attractive.There is lot of space empty at the right side it dosent look good.Design and content is good.
    LinK Exchange is the best way to get backlinks this will help you in PR
    Also submit your blog to directories you can get directories from Digital Poin Forum
    Work little more on your design to look it more attractive
    Rest is fine
    Best of Luck

4. chrisdina

chrisdina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the orange color of the header of this website. But I actually expect to find more orange in the footer. There may be some reason, Sahil does not make footer with orange color, too. but I like the shades of these colors, such as giving a new freshness to the visitors of this website.

articles from sahilkotak.com also provides many useful lessons for developing online business. But I am not comfortable with the font of the article. perhaps with arial would make the article seems not too much, thereby expanding the desire of visitors to read. but overall, I like this website. especially in a neat position settings. thanks

5. bojomojo

bojomojo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It looks nice, but needs more work

Against:
    • Improve the logo, make it smoother or change it. The white border looks bad. Also make it longer and bigger to fill in most of the orange header.
    • The posts are very resourceful and rich, but has no images or formatting, which drives the reader away, add some images to each post which gives a quick overview of what the post is about.
    • Make the RSS icon and subscription more obvious, you have a good blog, so lets get you more subscribers ;)
    • I can't find an obvious comment link, also add a "social promotion" plugin.

For:
    • You are posting regularly, long posts too, which is good, try to make them daily tho if you can.
    • SEO Looks fine, also traffic looks to be increasing from alexa.
    • Relatively new but alexa is catching the inc is traffic. Very good thing ;)
    • SEO and Tags.

Suggestion:
    You can add a jquery scroller for featured posts like the one on rizzn.com, that will be awesome.

Over all awesome work for a new blog, just keep up posting, don't expect much at start, if you do you will lose hope and stop, but if you continue what you do, it will grow larger and larger, believe me.

Just a small question, are you passionate about blogging? or just want to have one of those profitable blogs?

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What strike me immediately is the logo and not in a good way I'm afraid. It really needs to be reworked into something less distracting. The rough edges around the gif, called a halo, make it look unprofessional. First of all I'd change the colors of the logo. Your yellow background needs something less vibrant against it.

The more muted blues of the Facebook icon or preferably the LinkedIn one would look much better.

I feel you should select one solid color and stick with it for the whole logo. You can always add a gradient effect if you want, but right now there's too much going on with all the colors clashing and the ying yang symbol.

Your content is very good! The font size is good, the articles are detailed and you share a lot of useful information. Yet I almost didn't read it. Why? Because I judged your site on first impressions and the first thing I saw was the logo. It's critical to present yourself well right from the outset and that includes graphics.

To find out how others view your site, try Feng-GUI. It will show you exactly where your visitors eyes are drawn to on your page. (I reviewed it ages ago here.

As I said, you have good content. On the layout: You have 10 blog entries on your main page. I think that's too many for the type of template you have. After blog post #2, your sidebar is empty, making the remainder of the page unbalanced.

You have a number of choices:

1. Reduce the number of posts that display per page. You adjust that in Dashboard>Settings>Reading.

2. Make use of the more tag (which looks like this in your Dashboard>Write a Post> [​IMG]. Use that to shorten up your posts to teaser length of a paragraph or so and add a "read more" link to take readers to the full page. The shorter intros will condense the page down to a more reasonable length.

3. Combine both 1 and 2.

4. Add more widgets to your sidebar to fill up the empty space.

5. Ignore me and keep it just as it is. Trust me, you won't be the first. :D

That's about all the suggestions I have apart from the obvious: keep your content original and people will come. All the best with your site! Good luck. :) Overall, it's shaping up very nicely.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This blog has a good design and very informative contents. The "Listen Now" button or widget is very useful for those people who are having a hard time reading it's contents. It's a good accessibility feature. Plus points on that!

I would like to suggest on getting a new banner or header for it. From what I see, it's not Web 2.0 graphics plus there are lots of pixelations on the edges.

And the "Wop of the Day" seems to be out of place. It consumes two columns of your sidebar. There are lots of whitepaces on it. Can you put it on a single column, maybe half of your sidebar? I think it will much better if you do that.

8. kguru1979

kguru1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like to humbly tell a few suggestions.

1. Initial loading of site takes little more time (Have to check it with various internet speeds, still I accessed it in my office computer which has a decent speed). So the initial home page content can be shrinked to readable area and the length of scroll can be reduced.

2. The header part (company title, logo and the RSS feed icon on right hand side) looks too large. The size can be reduced so that the content area readability can be improved.

3. Since the Rightside sections (Sponsor list, categories, Subscribe, Top Commentators etc) are more wide, the lower content part looks more lean (too less width). Something has to be done in this aspect.

4. More banners can be used in each section and the text part can be reduced to improve the readability of the visitors. Otherwise, this will also become one of the same old blog with a huge list of content.

5. An innovative idea can be usage of flow charts for each blog and explaining it. This will improve the understanding of content more than purely text based bllog contents. Flow charts canbe created using various flow chart softwares (Microsoft Visio is an example) and content can be explained.

Some of the positive points for this blog are,

1. A good colour combination is used now.
    2. Font selection is good.

Hope the suggestions I mentioned may be useful for improving the website.

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Overall is good, clean and well arrangement on the layout and unique contents are available. Also, the loading speed is good enough.

You might consider to reduce the length of the posts or reduce the posts display at the main page, the visitor need to roll down many time until the end of the blog, this is not friendly enough for your visitor.

10. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

sahil blog is really good
    http://sahilkotak.com.
    the only problem is its logo .....it looks like before 1998 design
    and
    i think sahil need to have a better theme which will enhances it looks and try professional blogger themes

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/01/08/100-excellent-free-high-quality-wordpress-themes/

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/02/23/magazeen-free-magazine-look-wordpress-theme/

http://www.wpzoom.com/wordpress-the...rdpress-themes-with-magazine-or-grid-layouts/

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/05/18/100-amazing-free-wordpress-themes-for-2009/

try having logo which will looks better for your wp theme

most of article are unique
    this really good

but keep in mind that when trying to make unique article..... write about only which you have knowledge .....or try gaining knowledge and then write

overall this blog is really good

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

12. kriedk

kriedk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there
    First of all I would like to say well done to you Sahil, the idea behind your blog I found very helpful. I am no expert at blogging but I do feel that there is a bit of information over load on the first page. Maybe you could give each new topic a new page and make the content in each topic more concise, so that people who do not like to read a lot will still come away with the important information you have to give. Also what I would recommend is getting someone with a good command of the English language to read your articles before you post them so they can be grammatically correct, as this was quite distracting for me. Like I said in the beginning I am no expert. I wish you great success.
    Angelique

13. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok. Few tips -

1. Too many banners/ads make it look commercial. Users would quickly leave your site. Instead use in-line google ads/ link ads to get same no of ads in, without many ppl noticing them.

2. The right pane is too broad - the reading pane should be maximum for user convenience .

Hope these tips help :)
    Jo

14. ExpiredAccount

ExpiredAccount
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I liked this blog - it has a lot of good referral links on it, it is well written and informative

15. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can Any One Review My Blog again, I have made some more changes as per your suggestions.

Thanks

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The logo has been changed. It looks much better now.
    I think you should make your header a bit more narrower... I mean, decrease it's height.
    And also, the search/rss bar is too large. You can, might as well, lessen its height.

17. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As i mentioned before, the best on your blog is the unique content itself. The layout is good enough but wondering why you repeating the ads and put them inside the post? Put more ads not mean that you will earn more or saying that put more ads would not actually increase the chance of getting clicked. If not mistaken, i believed that your ads CTR is less than 3%

18. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope Its 8%, I just uploaded those ads yesterday and it has 5 Clicks till now.

[​IMG]

I am getting more revenue with those ads and I liking that.

19. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Then, it is good enough. Better focus on the content and traffic, your traffic is too less.

20. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, It is because my blog is just one month old and now also it is getting 50 Unique Visit Daily and 50% is Bounce Rate. So I am hoping of increase soon.