Featured: Your Goals Criteria: SMART

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by ShawnLim, May 20, 2009.

1. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, sometimes you'll find it hard to focus on your goals, or maybe sometimes you'll just forget about your goals.

Here are some of the tips that may help you in achieving your goals.

When you set your goals, make sure they are SMART goals...

S - Make sure your goals are as SPECIFIC as possible. The more specific your goals, the easier your mind can craft strategies to achieve them. Don't just say that you want to be rich, you need to be specific and state the exact amount you want in order for you to consider rich. For some people, having $10,000 is consider rich, while for some people, having $100,000 is just a few.

M - Make sure your goals are measurable. Use figures to make your goals measurable. If your goal is to lose some weight, use specific figure such as you are going to lose XX pounds.

A - Make sure your goals are attainable. A lot of people like to think big. Well, there is nothing wrong with thinking big. In fact, you have to adopt the idea of thinking big. However, even if you are thinking big, you must make sure that your goals are attainable for you.

R - Make sure your goals are realistic. It is impossible for a totally newbie to earn $1million from the internet in just 3 days. The more realistic your goal, the easier you're going to achieve them. Especially if you're new, if you achieve your goals, you'll feel the momentum and you will be encourage to set even larger goals.

T - Make sure your goals have time line or deadline. A goal without a deadline
    is a dream. This is because you do not know when you're going to achieve them. You can set your goal as to be a millionaire, but when will you achieve it? Is it 10 years from now? Or 25 years from now? So make sure you set a deadline so that it will also create a sense of urgency for you.

These are the SMART goals that will encourage and help you in achieving what
    you want in your life.

I hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that with us Shawn, I've always been a strong believer in SMART goals.

However, I've never been entirely clear on the difference between Attainable and Realistic, any ideas?

3. nichewitch

nichewitch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Attainable goals are ones that you either already have the capability to do or know the steps in order to be able to be capable. For example, my goal could be to become a web designer. When you take stock, you must know how to be able to reach that goal. In my case, I would have to learn HTML, CSS and the like but I could reach the goal.

Realistic is more on about what you are willing to do to reach your goal. For example, if your goal is to become the best article marketer on the planet but you hate to write, how realistic would that goal be? Realistic goals must first be attainable - can you learn what you need to reach your goal? If it isn't possible, then it's not very realistic.

Hope I explained that well enough. I love the SMART goal setting. These steps are what separates goals from mere wishes. Without the plan to get there, it's not a goal.

4. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're absolutely right my dear friend.
    Thanks for explaining and your kind sharing.

May all your goals come true. :D

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the explanation Nichewitch, the difference does seem very subtle. Both realistic and attainable really mean that the goal is something you are capable of achieving as opposed to something that would be impossible for you to achieve.