Your Experience of CDNs, e.g. maxCDN & CloudFlare

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sahil made the valuable suggestion that we should use a CDN to improve the speed of BAF.

Do you have any experience of using a CDN?

What do you think I should consider before using one for BAF?

Do you have any experience of using the services linked to below, or are there other providers that you would recommend?

https://www.cloudflare.com/

http://www.maxcdn.com/

Thanks!

2. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that link Fowler, it's a great article with very useful info. That's the first time I saw that Google provide a CDN service. Google are currently offering their CDN service for free but only accept a limited number of sites - I've applied for it through this link.

4. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did read about it a while ago on ZDnet. If i remember rightly, it is only free for a limited time though.

5. dollartycoon

dollartycoon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use cloudflares free CDN. So, far so good. Haven't tried MaxCDN.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Perhaps I'll be lucky and get accepted while the offer is still open.

Thanks for the feedback dollartycoon, did you notice any benefit from using CloudFlare?

7. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

CDN is surely necessary for BAF in my opinion considering the amount of visitors it gets daily. Getting a CDN will help you increase the speed of the site along with that the load of current server will be lessen. I've been using Cloud storage services of Rackspace recently for one of my blogs which works as an CDN and the results were very good. So, I really recommend using a CDN.

There are few services I personally recommend are:-

MaxCDN - http://maxcdn.com

They're the best CDN providers with really good support. I haven't used them personally but many of my friends have been using this and the results are very good. Also, one of the other benefits of it is it'll be easy to setup with vBulletin. It comes with an easy guide so the setup process will be very simple.

Amazon CloudFront - http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/

Another service, I'll recommend will be Amazon's CloudFront. They're not the cheapest and they're possibly one of the costliest one's but still they're cloud server's are best for storage. I've seen several big sites using this services. Other benefit of it will be it'll provide 19 Nodes and out of that 3 of them will be from Asia. So, if BAF is getting more Asian traffic then this services will be good as no other providers have servers in Asian countries.

Other then that, CloudFlare is also one of the good option but I won't recommend their free plan for best performances. Though, it can be good in the starting for BAF.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for the valued feedback and suggestions. With a bit of luck I will get a reply from Google, failing that I will get in touch with Amazon to see what they can offer.