Your copyright protector

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Matt, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What company protects your contact if any. I used to use copyscape but I think I may start looking for another company to protect my content.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How much content do you want to protect Matt? Do you have new content added regularly, e.g. on a forum or blog, or is your site quite static?

3. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your (unique) content is already copyrighted by law. Sites like "CopyScape" merely indicate copyright, but copyright of your site had already existed. The thing you should consider is caching, and backups so if someone does copy your content, you can produce archives of your site.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Another thing you could consider is using Google Alerts. If you set up an alert for phrases that are used in your content, Google will send you emails to alert you when those phrases are published anywhere else on the web. It's a good way to get notified of potential breaches of your copyright.

5. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ok, well, my site isn't opened yet. My last one was protected with copyscape

6. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can you tell us in what way was your site was protected by CopyScape? Was it successful in preventing people copying your content?

7. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I actually take back the part about it being my site. I was the co-admin of it. It protected against people coping it and we didn't seem to have any problems so I think it worked. :)

8. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I honestly do not think the CopyScape banner does much in terms of actually stopping people (general comment). I think it's nice to have a copyright warning for people, but effectively, your content is already copyrighted by law. I know that many sites even with copyright notices, people still copy that content, and as your site is copyrighted by law, you have every right to take the matter up with the offending site's web host and have that content removed.

But really, to answer your question, I haven't really seen a company (?) like CopyScape with that much web influence.

9. jonathan10387

jonathan10387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes one's content is always copyright protected by law. But it is good if you display a copyright protected message with it. And Fregal's advice of Google alerts is also good. However I don't use it in this manner but I use it to get updates with the latest changes going on in my niche and normally I get one or two mails per week. So I support that. Anyways there is also no harm in taking services of companies like Copyspace.