You can't do anything.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by CashAware, Aug 25, 2015.

1. CashAware

CashAware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One problem that often come up to business owners, especially any small businesses, is the fact someone tries to do anything. I stop you right now, delegating too much without handling and managing is as catastrophic as trying to do anything. But let's continue.

The problem of doing everything is multiple. Firstly, humanly, you can rarely keep up to that role. Secondly, what happens if you get sick? The person that will replace you perhaps can't handle that much job? What happens if you need vacations? You will close the business? Seriously? Thirdly, you can hardly watch the quality of every task you do.

So, no, accept it, you can't do anything. What do you think of it, what's your experiences, how many of your friends hit the wall?

2. missbishi

missbishi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the word you are looking for is "everything". You can't do everything.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Onionman

Onionman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yep, it's the basic principle of using leverage - using other people's time, knowledge and energy. If you don't use other people's talents then you are being extremely inefficient and missing an opportunity. And it's certainly harder to succeed that way as well.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From what I have learned in managerial trainings that I had attended, delegation is the art of distributing work to others (not necessarily people under you) so that you can be free of work. That simple. The best manager is the manager who has nothing in his hands and who only watches his staff doing the work. In other words, you need not do everything and you can be at work doing no work at all.

5. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seems legit even tough it's quite maleficent X) By the way I think this member has got the point: as a manager you main goal is to be sure that everyone you have under your dependencies has to do something everytime and you have to schedule the whole thing everytime. It seems to be a cake but it's not indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CashAware

CashAware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not that maleficent, as you said. This act as a rule, but being a manager is a job not for nothing - it is rare everything works exactly as intended. You may find things that fails, management ideas that you should watch can fail, or find people who fails. Doesn't matter, it is your job to handle this and to fix it, not let this fail go in cascade.

Basically, watching someone else working is a work itself, because you have to watch every workers and every contact you have with any external team. You can't just watch and then play to games while waiting for the results, you must ensure everything goes as expected. That's why that's not that maleficent. Much like in a babysitter succeeds with a baby when the baby doesn't need her - except for playing. It doesn't mean the babysitter shouldn't watch out closely.